Advice on a retake?... (680)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Advice on a retake?... (680)

by NeilWatson » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 pm
I recently scored 680 and while overall a good score.. it was mostly supported by my verbal score of 40. I got a very poor quant score and I am taking this week to re-group so I can prepare for my next take on August 30th. I was hoping I could get some advice on a retake strategy that I have come up with. Any input would be appreciated.

Monday/Tuesday
-read of MGMAT guide in my specific weak areas, focusing on one area per week.
-do 10 problems at the end of both sessions and analyze any mistakes

Wednesday/Thursday
-after finishing MGMAT guide, do 30 practice problems from Magoosh and GMAT Club to solidify skills.

Friday
- break

Saturday
- review error log and any other extra information gained from practice problems

Sunday
- Practice test

I plan to repeat this plan for 5 weeks dedicating each weak to a specific section of Quant (number properties, ratios etc.)

Does anyone have any advice regarding this retake plan? I think nerves played a part in my score as I was scoring in the 47-49 range in my practice tests. There were some problems I felt unsure of that I probably should have been able to answer. I think increasing my score to 48 is more than do-able between now and August 30th.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm
Hi NeilWatson,

What was your Quant Scaled Score? With a 680, it must have been in the low 40s, which isn't a terrible score (and not "very poor"). The percentiles make it appear to be low, but it's really not. It likely won't impress top Business Schools, but they're all savvy enough to know that not all great applicants are going to be amazing in the Quant section.

To that end, what schools are you planning to apply to? It might be that a retest is unnecessary.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by NeilWatson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 am
Rich,

Thanks for your response. Your right, I scored a 43 in quant. However there were a few questions I knew I could answer that I froze on. I intend to apply to UNC and want to use the GMAT to make up for other parts of my app. I think sometimes my approach might be off and I feel sure that if i drill certain areas and m approach to those problems, I can definitely increase my score in 5 weeks time. What do you think?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 am
Hi NeilWatson,

I agree that you probably could score higher in the Quant section. With a 680/Q43, you're in position to apply to UNC right now though, so retesting probably isn't necessary. That having been said, assuming that you keep your skills sharp, there's no harm in retesting.

How did this Quant performance (Q43) compare with your Quant performance in your CATs?

Rich

by NeilWatson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21 pm
In my last CAT the week before the test I scored 750 (Q49) and the time before that 720 (Q47). I think I should be able to get a minimum 47 on a retake. Do you have any recommendations for my study schedule. Normally I would not re-take but I am using the GMAT to make up for other parts of my app.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:09 pm
Hi NeilWatson,

Since you were scoring at a really high level during your practice, you probably won't have to do a lot of studying to maintain (and sharpen) your skills. To that end, the issue now is quality over quantity. As you've noted, you should spend more time on your Quant skills than your Verbal skills, but putting in some work on each is advisable.

What resources have you used so far (including CATs)?

Rich

by NeilWatson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 pm
Hi Rich,

I used the MGMAT guide books... Magoosh and I also used your course for a month.. For CATs I used MGMAT (found those to be very difficult) and gmat prep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:39 am
Hi NeilWatson,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

Rich

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Slewis2002 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:50 pm
Hi Rich,

Would it be possible for you to share your advice for Neil with me? I took my test a couple of days ago and scored 670 (Q47, V35). I am aiming for around 710 and so am also looking for some advice for my retake next month?

Kind regards,

Sophie

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm
Hi Sophie,

I've sent you a private message.

Rich