Advice on GMAT prep structure greatly needed.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice on GMAT prep structure greatly needed.

by 800+ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm
Please I want to verify if it is possible to study for the GMAT while preparing for another set of major exams.My undergrad GPA is very low.As a result i am trying to build an alternative transcript by enrolling in a postgraduate diploma program in business administration.I want to get an A average in all the courses.For the GMAT i also want to score at least a minimum of 750.

Is there a realistic study plan that can help me achieve these two goals in parallel?If yes,what will that be?

PLease i need your input to know exactly my next line of action.

Thanks you so much.

Warm Regards,

Chibuike.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm
Hi chibuike,

You ask a question that's difficult to answer because you haven't defined what your workload will be in your post-grad program. How many hours a week will you be in class? How many hours a week will you be spending on homework, studying, projects, etc?

Studying for the GMAT is similar to having a part-time job - putting in 10-15 hours per week for 3 months is common for most Test Takers. While the GMAT is a predictable, standardized exam, it does require a high level of organization and precision. Beyond knowing the content, you also have to master the various tactics/strategies to answer GMAT questions in the most efficient ways and train to handle the other "stresses" of the exam (endurance, fatigue, pacing, etc.). To score 750+, you can't afford to be "weak" in any aspect of this Test.

You also have not defined WHEN you want to take the GMAT.

The short answer to your question is that it IS possible to juggle multiple "big projects." Many Test Takers have full-time jobs and families, so while it would likely be quite a challenge, it is doable. Organization is a must, along with the proper GMAT Study materials and mindset to succeed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by 800+ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm
Rich,

Thank you so much for taking out time to give such a detailed answer.I am truly indebted to you.I am so boxed up with work now but once i can get a little breathing space. i will provide details to the questions you have raised.I also hope you wont mind my sending a Private Message as some of the details that will buttress my points are quite confidential.

Once more ,thanks a million for the Kind gesture. God bless

Warm regards,

Chibuike.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 pm
Hi Chibuike,

You can feel free to PM or email me with any questions that you have.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 pm
Hi Chibuke,

One advantage you have for studying is that you are already in study mode. A lot of people who take the GMAT a couple years after school have a lot of trouble getting back into the habit of studying, but you are already there! Rich brings up some really great points, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered before you can figure out if you can achieve a 750 when you plan to take the test. I would recommend taking a practice test to see where you stand. Since you are already in school, you might not be as far away from your target score as you think.

Hope this helps!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!

by 800+ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am
Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much.I earlier told Rich I was going to write him a detailed mail that encompasses all my information.I will extend the mail to you as well.My work schedule has been so tight so its been tough organizing my thoughts immediately.Meanwhile please keep up the good work you are doing in Asia.You are really making our world a better place.

Warm regards,

Chibuike.