4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

4.5 Years Non IT Work Ex- 690 GMAT

by steelmen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 am
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for the service that you have been extending to students at large. Shall be thankful if you could evaluate my profile.

Work Ex- 4.5 years at one of the worlds top 4 Steel industry in India in a Strategy related role.
GMAT - 690 ( Q 47 , V 38 )
CGPA - My univ uses the Percentage system. My Average is 68%.

Work Profile -
2010 Dec to 2012 October - Was working in the steel plant at the manufacturing unit as an Electrical Automation Engineer.
2012 Oct to Present - Working as Technical Assistant to the top most level executive at the company . Have been associated with the top level management and work on various areas including that of strategy and operations.

Extra Curricular -
1. An active Rotarian . Have been the secretary of the local Rotary Club and awarded with the Best Secretary in the zone award.
2. A Paul Haris Fellow of the Rotary Foundation.
3. Have organised various blood donation camps and other social activities at rural level.
4. Winner of the Squash Tournaments at the company for the consecutive two years.
5. Represented the state once in a National Level Squash Tournament.
6. Have headed the cultural committee while at college and have organised national level student events.
7. An environment Champion at work place. Its a title given to those who have contributed towards the environment conservation.

I shall be applying for Fall 2015 admits and shall be completing 4.5 Years of work ex by then. The B-schools that I have shortlisted as of now are
1.University of Texas, Austin - McCombs School of Business
2.University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School
3.Indiana University -Kelley School of Business
4.Carnegie Mellon University - Tepper School of Business
5.Emory University -Goizueta Business School

please advice me as to are these universities within my reach or not. Also,do you advice that I retake the GMAT?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 pm
I think you have a good shot at these target schools. Your GMAT is fine and actually has a nice split with demonstration of both quant and verbal skills. Typically, applicants from India come up short on the verbal score, so it is nice to see a balance. You should focus on why you like your industry and how it has helped prepare you for your post MBA career plan. Schools will want to see passion in your narrative, so make sure you tell a story which grabs them and does not simply describe what you have done but WHY. You could really consider any school in top 15-25.

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 pm
I think you have a good shot at these target schools. Your GMAT is fine and actually has a nice split with demonstration of both quant and verbal skills. Typically, applicants from India come up short on the verbal score, so it is nice to see a balance. You should focus on why you like your industry and how it has helped prepare you for your post MBA career plan. Schools will want to see passion in your narrative, so make sure you tell a story which grabs them and does not simply describe what you have done but WHY. You could really consider any school in top 15-25.

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by steelmen » Fri May 02, 2014 3:52 am
Dear Bryant,

Thank you for the reply. By mentioning that I could consider any school in 15-25 rank, do you suggest that i keep my reach schools also in this range. Can you please tell me what my safe b schools are? I am keen on doing my MBA from a top 25 b school only. Which are the schools I have the highest chances of getting in in the top 25?

Thanking you again.

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu May 08, 2014 10:14 am
I think you could reach up and grab a Duke or a Virginia as a reach. The Chicagos, HBS, Stanford, Whartons etc. may be out of reach, but you will get what you need from any of the schools on your list, so no need to fret.
Bryant Michaels

by steelmen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm
hi sir.

I thank you for all the guidance you have given me so far.

I have shortlisted the following universities as of now ( First Draft ). What are your comments on this. Please suggest any changes you feel I should do. Is my safe list ok?

Dream :
Chicago Booth
Cornell
Moderate :
Duke Fuqua
Darden
Michigan Ross
Carnigie Mellon
Safe :
Indiana Kelley
Maryland Smith
Ohio State - Fisher
Rottman ( Canada )
Emory

by jbotero08 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm
Cornell and Chicago are not in a peer relationship. Both are quite good, but I feel that has to be said.

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 am
I think your safe list is solid. Rankings waffle, but overall reputations is what you should focus on.
Bryant Michaels