Advice on raising score

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690

Advice on raising score

by fhucrosscountry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 pm
Hi, guys!

I'm new to the site but realize there's an emphasis here on getting an MBA. I hope it's not a problem to be pursuing a M.Acc instead and still using the site.

My question, though, is pretty general in nature. I, like so many people, am simply looking to increase my score. I just took my first GMAT and got a 7 IR, 41 quant, and 38 verbal. I'm waiting on the AWA score. I studied something like three months -- although the first month was not very intense and with the Princeton Review book. I now have an old Turbocharge Your GMAT book by Manhattan as well as their FDP, Algebra, Number Properties, and Advanced Quant guides. At the end (two days before the test) my official quant review came in too. I also played around on the free trial of The Economist GMAT Tutor and now have a premium subscription to that. My background includes some math -- but nothing heavy. I would say I'm strong in FDP and arithmetic and decent in geometry. Other than that I'm not too great in my skills right now. I've taken five practice tests with the following consecutive scores: 610, 700, 640, 700, 610. I'm generally stronger in verbal than I performed on my real GMAT, having obtained a 46 or 47 on one practice test particular. I just not to get the quant up (highest practice test score of 44). The plan is to retake in about 10 or 11 weeks.

So what do you all think I should do other than The Economist program, or should I do just that? I've considered the other two Manhattan quant guides and have heard there's a really good PDF out there with every type of GMAT question possible. I thought I could maybe use the PDF to make sure that I'm well ready for anything that could come my way.

My targeted schools are Vanderbilt, UNC: Chapel Hill, and William & Mary. But my preference is on the first two. I hold a BBA in management with an emphasis in global business, so I need a particular type of M.Acc program that caters to non-accounting majors.

by fhucrosscountry » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 pm
I forgot to mention that I would like a 730 combined and a 46 quant if I can manage it. The Economist program should supposedly guarantee me at least a 720 if I do everything they say I'm supposed to do.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:37 pm
Hi fhucrosscountry,

With what you've described, I think it's likely that you're treating the Quant section as a "math test", when it's actually a critical thinking test that uses math-themed questions as the interface. This ultimately means that you'll likely pick up your missing points by using Quant tactics (as opposed to just doing more math).

It could very well be that your current resources will be enough for you to hit your goal. We won't know for sure until you've had a few weeks to practice. If a month from now, you're still scoring at the same level, then some adjustments will probably need to be made.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by fhucrosscountry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 pm
Thanks for the advice. The more I think about it, the more think I am to some extent guilty of that approach. I'm make sure to complete a practice test about one month in to make that assessment.