Tips to recapture math skills.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tips to recapture math skills.

by jcallahan6 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm
Hello everyone,

As I am studying for the GMAT I have noticed that my knowledge of the basic properties and function involved with perfuming on the quant section has been diminished. I can solve the equation and what not but I don't grasp the full extent to properties and rules involved with the math. Does anyone have any good tips to help improve the learning of the rules that are behind the math? I believe that if i can get a better grasp on such information I could perform much better in the quant section. Any help is appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:20 pm
Hi jcallahan6,

Before you concentrate too much on trying to learn all of those little rules, you have to make sure that you are comfortable with all of the basic rules, formulas, patterns, etc. If you're not quite to that level yet, then I'd suggest spending some time at Khan Academy. It's a free site that will teach you all of the essentials to Algebra, Arithmetic, Geometry, etc. that you'll need for the Quant section of the GMAT.

Most Quant questions can be solved in a variety of ways, but most books won't show you all of the options. The little rules, patterns, etc. that exist behind "math" are best learned by "doing" (as opposed to reading a big list of rules and trying to memorize them in bulk), but seeing them presented by experts is also a great way to learn the rules. I suggest that you spend some time in these Forums, reading the responses to the various questions that other users post (and you can post some too, if you'd like). You'll come to find lots of little tips. Digesting them in small chunks and seeing them used against GMAT questions should help you to gain "context" for the rules (e.g. when to think about using them and how to use them).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:52 am
It sounds like you need a betting grounding in the foundational principles of math. MGMAT offers Foundations of Math workshops, a Foundations of Math strategy guide, and dozens of drill sets to help you:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/Programs/Workshops
https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 1&catid=10
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education