Help!! Profile evaluation pls! Low work ex :(

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I am planning on applying for Fall 2015 for MBA in the US.

My profile is:
GMAT - 690 AWA - 4 IR - 8
TOEFL - yet to take

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
B.TECH (ECE) - 9.1/10
12th CBSE 85.8%
10th CBSE 88.4%

WORK EXPERIENCE:
"¢ Assistant Systems Engineer at TCS with 13 months experience. (will have 24 months at the time of joining)
Role: iOS Developer(IT)
Other responsibilities:
a. Process management activities
Achievements: Appreciation from managers.
"¢ Served as a Module Lead for a team for 5 during the project development phase of TCS training.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
"¢ Awarded the school topper in Computer Science in 10th cbse examinations.
"¢ Awarded the school topper in Elective in 12th cbse examinations.
"¢ Awarded "Kudos" for consistent performance throughout the TCS training period.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR:
"¢ Organized and participated in an event that involved teaching physics to government school children. Was part of creating the syllabus for this training program.
"¢ Worked as a Committee Member for a fun event in college cultural.

SOCIAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES:
Volunteer at an NGO. I have held several roles and responsibilities here.
1. Information manager: Check for volunteer and student count on a weekly basis.
2. Centre Coordinator (Current role):
Role:
a. Coordinate with 15 volunteers and 15 students on a weekly basis.
b. Coordinate with other centre coordinators and volunteers on a regular basis.
c. Keep in touch with centre authorities and ensure smooth running of classes.
d. Address any concerns of students and volunteers.
Achievements:
a. Improved overall centre performance to 92% from 20%
b. Introducing Science and Computer science at the centre where only Maths was taught previously.
c. Introduction of a dance workshop.
3. Overall Events Coordinator (for a cultural fest held by the organisation):
Role:
a. Coordinate with 3 Event Heads and ensure smooth organisation and planning of events.
b. Coordinate with other teams like the Volunteer Management team and the Logistics team to ensure resource availability for smooth running of events.
c. Create a schedule for events that will enable efficient utilization of time, money, resources and inventory and ensure maximum participation from students.
d. Hold regular meeting and address any concerns of Events Heads and volunteers.
Achievements:
a. Handled 900 kids and 100+ volunteers on D-Day.
b. Introduced the concept of uniformity among cities. Coordinated with coordinators from other cities and ensured that all cities across the country hosted the same events & used the same inventory. Ensured inventory re-use among cities.
c. Effectively managed 1.5 hours delay and finished the events on time.

I know my work experience isnt much but i want to highlight my social service experience and get into a good university. I am pretty ambitious about getting into a tier 1 or tier 2 colleges.

Please let me know how i can play this resume to my strengths. Also what colleges should i be considering in the US?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:01 am
Hi,

You have solid academics and extra curricular activities with decent GMAT score, if you can focus more on your strengths and come up with solid essays then you have fair chance for top 20 US schools. You also need to mention about your post MBA career goals that will help to shortlist B-schools, don't worry about low work ex, However it is advantage to gain work ex before you apply but certainly most of the top b-schools encourage people with less work ex to apply. So focus on your strengths and start working on your applications at the earliest. Please visit https://goo.gl/ocaeu6 for B-school Selector Tool, which will help you to shortlist b-schools based on your profile.

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:19 pm
In Addition to the above points you can also hi-light the uniqueness of these experience, your learning from them and how it distinguishes you. I feel it adds value to the application when you can portray diverse experiences.

Good Luck!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by AdmitPitch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 am
Your qualifications are very good. Focussing on your strengths will be helpful here:
Extracurricular Activities: You are right about highlighting your commendable social services and extracurricular activities, especially since your work experience will fall short of the average experience of around 4 years for most Tier 1 and Tier 2 B-Schools.
GMAT Score: With a GMAT score of 690, you can aim for colleges ranking 15 onwards. Currently, the average GMAT score worldwide is 540, while the top ten Business Schools' median average is in the range of 700 to 730.
Colleges to Consider: You can apply to the Business Schools such as Columbia University, University of Texas, and University of North Carolina, etc.
In Addition: Write impressive essays, get convincing recommendations, and if called for the interview, be very presentable, confident, and talk logically.

Prepare well, do consider taking help from the admission consultants. You can contact us for free consultation at: https://www.admitpitch.com/contact-us/free-consultation
We are admission experts and can guide you through all the stages of the admission process, including your essays and resume. If you steer it right, things should work out for you. All the best!
Last edited by AdmitPitch on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Admit Pitch,
MBA Admission Consultants
https://www.admitpitch.com/
US | UK | China | India
Schedule a 60 minute free assessment, send your resume at [email protected]
We do offer flexi-payment options

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 am
samsam1818 wrote:Hi,

I am planning on applying for Fall 2015 for MBA in the US.

My profile is:
GMAT - 690 AWA - 4 IR - 8
TOEFL - yet to take

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
B.TECH (ECE) - 9.1/10
12th CBSE 85.8%
10th CBSE 88.4%

WORK EXPERIENCE:
"¢ Assistant Systems Engineer at TCS with 13 months experience. (will have 24 months at the time of joining)
Role: iOS Developer(IT)
Other responsibilities:
a. Process management activities
Achievements: Appreciation from managers.
"¢ Served as a Module Lead for a team for 5 during the project development phase of TCS training.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
"¢ Awarded the school topper in Computer Science in 10th cbse examinations.
"¢ Awarded the school topper in Elective in 12th cbse examinations.
"¢ Awarded "Kudos" for consistent performance throughout the TCS training period.

EXTRA-CURRICULAR:
"¢ Organized and participated in an event that involved teaching physics to government school children. Was part of creating the syllabus for this training program.
"¢ Worked as a Committee Member for a fun event in college cultural.

SOCIAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES:
Volunteer at an NGO. I have held several roles and responsibilities here.
1. Information manager: Check for volunteer and student count on a weekly basis.
2. Centre Coordinator (Current role):
Role:
a. Coordinate with 15 volunteers and 15 students on a weekly basis.
b. Coordinate with other centre coordinators and volunteers on a regular basis.
c. Keep in touch with centre authorities and ensure smooth running of classes.
d. Address any concerns of students and volunteers.
Achievements:
a. Improved overall centre performance to 92% from 20%
b. Introducing Science and Computer science at the centre where only Maths was taught previously.
c. Introduction of a dance workshop.
3. Overall Events Coordinator (for a cultural fest held by the organisation):
Role:
a. Coordinate with 3 Event Heads and ensure smooth organisation and planning of events.
b. Coordinate with other teams like the Volunteer Management team and the Logistics team to ensure resource availability for smooth running of events.
c. Create a schedule for events that will enable efficient utilization of time, money, resources and inventory and ensure maximum participation from students.
d. Hold regular meeting and address any concerns of Events Heads and volunteers.
Achievements:
a. Handled 900 kids and 100+ volunteers on D-Day.
b. Introduced the concept of uniformity among cities. Coordinated with coordinators from other cities and ensured that all cities across the country hosted the same events & used the same inventory. Ensured inventory re-use among cities.
c. Effectively managed 1.5 hours delay and finished the events on time.

I know my work experience isnt much but i want to highlight my social service experience and get into a good university. I am pretty ambitious about getting into a tier 1 or tier 2 colleges.

Please let me know how i can play this resume to my strengths. Also what colleges should i be considering in the US?
Well, since you don't really have enough work experience, why not give it another year, and in the meanwhile see if you can't boost your GMAT by 20+ points?

What do you think?

Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.