profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

profile evaluation

by mjjking » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:18 am
Hi, can you please evaluate my profile?

BA in biology at University of Missouri - Kansas City obtained in three years. GPA: 3.26
GMAT: studying right now, hopefully 650+
extracurricular activities: President of the Japanese student association at UMKC
Officer of the Pre-Med society at UMKC
Volunteer at hospital for one year

I'm female and asian-american (born and raised in japan).

I can fluently speak japanese and english and I've lived in Japan, US, Scotland and Italy.

I have part time work experience at a Steak and Shake store, where I was promoted to Assistant Manager along the way.

No other work experience so far. I'm not working right now, 'cause I've been living in Italy for the last two months as I'm getting married to an italian man. I'm probably taking 6 months/1 year off before looking for a job.

So, what do you think I should do? If I take one year off, do you think it could be harmful for my mba application? Is my GPA too low? (I got two Ds in my last semester). Do I have a good shot at a good MBA program if I score 650+?

thanks!!
Beat The GMAT - 1st priority
Enter a top MBA program - 2nd priority
Loving my wife: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

REAL THING 1 (AUG 2007): 680 (Q43, V40)
REAL THING 2 (APR 2009): 720 (Q47, V41)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 am
You definitely need more work experience to be competitive for a top MBA program. Work experience is a key component for many programs because it allows you to learn and contribute more effectively in class. Your overall GPA is fine however you will definitely need to explain the two D's and if there were extenuating circumstances. Finally, I recommend aiming for a 700 on you GMAT.

Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by mjjking » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:45 am
Hi and thanks for the answer.
A couple of questions:

1. With 700 on the gmat and a couple of years of work experience could I aim at a top 30 program? and what about a top 15?
2. I got 2 Ds because I graduated in three years instead of four and I left 2 of the hardest exams on my last semester. Furthermore, I was Supplemental Instruction teacher on the previous semester and leader of a group in my last semester, which really caused stress and troubles.
last but not least, I travelled twice to Italy during classes for arranging my wedding, which was definitely a distraction... Do you think these things can be explained?

thanks!
Beat The GMAT - 1st priority
Enter a top MBA program - 2nd priority
Loving my wife: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

REAL THING 1 (AUG 2007): 680 (Q43, V40)
REAL THING 2 (APR 2009): 720 (Q47, V41)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:57 am
I believe you will be competitive for a top tier program with more work exp and a 700+ GMAT. The D's can be explained in your optional essay. Be sure to highlight what you learned from the experience (ie. time management, conflict resolution, etc.)
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options