GMATPrep Software Question Bank Considered Too Easy?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I've used the free GMATPrep software for the 2 free GMAT tests (640 Q48, V29 and 650 Q45, V35) and just recently started working through the 90 free problems that are included in the practice section. However, I was wondering if they are considered easier than expected GMAT questions. I've burned through many of the problems and am wondering if they are worth practicing, because they seem so easy in comparison to stuff I am seeing in OG13 and my MGMAT prep books. I understand practicing official problems is the best approach, which is why I am doing them, but just curious if the forum thinks these questions are easier than what they are ranked.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:43 pm
Hi SepticRevo,

The term "easy" can be deceptive, since a question that you consider to be easy might be "ranked" more difficult by the actual GMAT algorithm. In that same way, your approach to certain questions might be far longer and more complex than other easier approaches.

There's also the issue of the limited sample. There is no way that a 90-question sample can provide you with the full range and depth of what you'll see on Test Day (especially since the Computer Adaptive algorithm is adjusting to your correct and incorrect answers).

Finally, there's the issue of endurance. You might burn through a set of practice problems and think that they're not too difficult, but how well would you perform on those questions IF you had been working for hours before you got to them (on an Essay and IR, for example)?

These questions are Official questions though - they once appeared on actual live GMAT exams - so they are valuable. This set is part of a larger, drawn-out process, so you should look at this as part of the bigger plan. Did you use these questions effectively? Were you able to hone your skills and build up your "library" of patterns and tactics? If so, then you have used these free problems correctly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by SepticRevo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:20 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi SepticRevo,

The term "easy" can be deceptive, since a question that you consider to be easy might be "ranked" more difficult by the actual GMAT algorithm. In that same way, your approach to certain questions might be far longer and more complex than other easier approaches.

There's also the issue of the limited sample. There is no way that a 90-question sample can provide you with the full range and depth of what you'll see on Test Day (especially since the Computer Adaptive algorithm is adjusting to your correct and incorrect answers).

Finally, there's the issue of endurance. You might burn through a set of practice problems and think that they're not too difficult, but how well would you perform on those questions IF you had been working for hours before you got to them (on an Essay and IR, for example)?

These questions are Official questions though - they once appeared on actual live GMAT exams - so they are valuable. This set is part of a larger, drawn-out process, so you should look at this as part of the bigger plan. Did you use these questions effectively? Were you able to hone your skills and build up your "library" of patterns and tactics? If so, then you have used these free problems correctly.

Rich
Hi Rich,

I'm not sure if you understood what I am asking. I know that the 90 questions are a small sample size and shouldn't be what I'm comparing to the actual GMAT (despite the questions being official GMAT questions). I've taken 6 CATs and worked my way through OG13 and the Supplements. I'm just looking for an answer of whether or not these 90 questions (which I believe are the same for everyone, thus a consensus of "easy" vs "hard" can be determined) are considered "easy", "normal", or "hard" by the users of Beat the GMAT. GMATPrep offers an additional question pack, and if I am looking to add to my question pool, then I would want to know if the material that I have is challenging me, not wasting my time by giving me "hard" rated questions that are closer to 600 level than 700 level problems.

Essentially, I have worked through the GMAT Prep 90 free questions and have done quite well, following time parameters. I'm not trying to compare it to the endurance of the test, but I believe 6 CATs along with my 2 official sittings from a few years ago have given me preparation for that aspect. I'm just trying to determine if my success is because I'm improving or because I have found an easy problem bank.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:41 am
Hi SepticRevo,

How have you scored on your most recent practice CATs? And how do those scores compare to your Official GMAT scores?

I've always been a pragmatist about this whole process, since the GMAT is standardized and predictable. A full-length CAT is the best way to "measure" your abilities, BUT it's not the best way to train. If you found the practice problems to be "easy", then that's probably a good sign - your skills have improved to the point that you're getting more questions correct and making fewer mistakes. The next question is if that same mindset transfers over to when you take a practice CAT?

Rich

by SepticRevo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi SepticRevo,

How have you scored on your most recent practice CATs? And how do those scores compare to your Official GMAT scores?

I've always been a pragmatist about this whole process, since the GMAT is standardized and predictable. A full-length CAT is the best way to "measure" your abilities, BUT it's not the best way to train. If you found the practice problems to be "easy", then that's probably a good sign - your skills have improved to the point that you're getting more questions correct and making fewer mistakes. The next question is if that same mindset transfers over to when you take a practice CAT?

Rich
Hi Rich,

My official scores are from late 2011 and early 2012, with no studying prior or in between.

Official GMAT 1: 610 (Q44, V29)
Official GMAT 2: 620 (Q43, V32)

Here are my scores thus far from my entire study period, with the bottom of the list being the most recent:

MGMAT CAT 1: 550 (Q38, V28)
MGMAT CAT 2: 570 (Q41, V28)
MGMAT CAT 3: 570 (Q38, V30)
GMATPrep CAT 1: 640 (Q48, V29)
MGMAT CAT 4: 600 (Q43, V31)
GMATPrep CAT 2: 650 (Q45, V35)

I'm not hitting 700s here, which is why I was curious about question difficulty for the problem set. If "hard" per the software's definition is 700, then I am doing well in practice under exam conditions but not executing on the exam itself. If "hard" per the software's definition is 550-600, then I am not challenging myself problem wise.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm
Hi SepticRevo,

With the extra information that you've provided, I can now see an interesting pattern - it looks like you're performing in the same general manner during your CATs - almost all of your scores seem to revolve around 610 (even your past GMAT scores fit this pattern) within +-40 points. This ultimately means that even though you do well when working on quizzes and individual practice questions, you "revert" to a certain mindset when you take a full Test.

To score 700+, you'll likely need to do more than just additional practice problems, you need to change the way you "see" the GMAT. This is not an issue that will be fixed by tips or suggestions; you need a tactical "shift" to your process. I suggest that you look into the various GMAT Courses (try out any free classes, samples, trial accounts, etc.) and find one that fits your personality and budget. You probably won't need much time to make the necessary changes, but they are necessary for you to hit your goal.

Rich

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm
I think you're asking the wrong question. Official questions (even the "easy" ones) are worth their weight in GOLD because they are showing you patterns for how the official test-makers present concepts. It doesn't ultimately matter if you get a question correct or incorrect, you should be using these official questions to note HOW certain concepts (i.e. parallelism, modification, comparisons, etc.) are presented -- what are the keywords you notice cropping up repeatedly? I'd classify each question by the concepts tested. SO regardless of whether you personally find these problems "easy," they are extraordinarily worth doing. And not just "doing" to check the box, but carefully analyzing.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by SepticRevo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 am
VivianKerr wrote:I think you're asking the wrong question. Official questions (even the "easy" ones) are worth their weight in GOLD because they are showing you patterns for how the official test-makers present concepts. It doesn't ultimately matter if you get a question correct or incorrect, you should be using these official questions to note HOW certain concepts (i.e. parallelism, modification, comparisons, etc.) are presented -- what are the keywords you notice cropping up repeatedly? I'd classify each question by the concepts tested. SO regardless of whether you personally find these problems "easy," they are extraordinarily worth doing. And not just "doing" to check the box, but carefully analyzing.
I believe you are quite right. I took GMATPrep Test 3 last night and earned a 680 (Q47, V35), which is 30 points higher than the test I took on Sunday (650 Q45, V35). Any tips on helping maintain my score throughout the next week (besides practicing and reviewing)? My exam is scheduled for next Wednesday.