Profile Evaluation and Guidance For a 1 Year MBA

Launched August 9, 2011
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Admissionado ,

Thanks for the great work you are doing!

I would like know where my profile stands for top Asian(ISB,HKUST) and European(INSEAD,IMD,HEC PARIS) and what are the areas that I can improve on before the application.

Also, due to some financial commitments I plan to apply for an MBA after about 2-3 years down the line.

Indian Male, 26 yrs old.

Education:
Xth CBSE : 82%
XIIth CBSE : 76%

B.Tech, IIT Delhi (Civil Engg) : 6.6/10

Certifications Completed:

- CFA L1 Pass (>70% in all subjects)

Certifications Advanced Statistics and Calculus :

- CT3 Probability & Statistics - Institute of Actuaries - Overall Exam pass rate < 10%
- CT6 Statistical Methods - Institute of Actuaries - Overall Exam pass rate < 10%
- Machine Learning Course(Online) - Stanford University - Coursera

Future Certifications planned:
- FRM Exam 1 and 2 : Expected Jun'2015
- Will do more Online Courses offered by top univs on Coursera to enhance my technical (Maths & Stats) as well as Business (Banking and Finance) skills

GMAT(Target, Planning to do after completing FRM) : 720+ (Pretty Sure about that)

Work Experience(Old to Recent) : Overall 4.8 years

*2009 Recession batch pass out, hence switched few jobs to move to better profiles throughout my career.

Prev Employer 1 - Startup
Tenure : 1 year
Role : Reporting Analyst
Nothing great to show, worked on BI reporting for an interior infrastructure client, got shutdown after a year of joining

Prev Employer 2 - Analytics and Consulting Startup
Tenure : 1 year
Role : Senior Business Consultant - Individual Contributor
Highlights : Successfully completed multiple Marketing strategy projects(using Stats techniques like Data Modeling, Segmentation and Time Series forecasting ) for some of the major clients like Dell, ITC, UB etc.
Received a lot of accolades for creating great business impacts and got a Fast Track promotion after 6 months of joining to Sr. Consultant.
Reason for Leaving : Got an opportunity in one of the largest International Bank, better brand.

Previous Employer 3 - One of the largest International Bank (Business Consulting - Marketing)
Tenure : 2.7 yrs
Role : Assistant Manager - Business Consulting
Highlights -
Joined as an Analyst promoted within a year to Assistant Manager.
Within the 1st year of Joining, I along with a Senior Leader had set up a Consulting Offshore team for a Latin American business
In last ~20 months I have successfully managed various strategical initiatives (with a team of 2-3 Analysts) that have created major Business Impact.
Received a Business Transformation Award for my contribution.
Awarded an Additional Cash Bonus(given to only a bunch of excellent performers every year) for my outstanding performance last year.
Provide technical training and Mentoring support to my team especially on topics related to statistics.

Reason for Leaving : No International Exposure, Stagnated Learning curve due to lack of project diversity.

Current Employer - Accenture Management Consulting (Banking and Financial Services)
Tenure : Recently Joined
Role : Management Consultant
Expectations -
Work closely with multiple businesses in the BFSI domain enhancing my domain knowledge.
Better Opportunities for International Assignments(Good for MBA application).
Planning to stay with the current role for at least next 3 years and then go for an MBA.

Current BFSI domain experience : 3+ years
Expected BFSI domain Exp, Pre-MBA : 6+ years
Expected Overall Experience Pre-MBA : ~8 years

Extra Curricular:
- Marathon Runner : Loves Running, Completed couple of Marathons in last 1 year, Participated in numerous 10K, 20K events in the past.
- Trained Lawn Tennis player and participated in Inter Hostel Lawn Tennis Comp events for 2 years.

Request you to please evaluate my profile for a top MBA program 3 years from now and advice me on below mentioned queries:
1. What GMAT score I should target to compensate for my Avg Acads.
2. Does online courses from Coursera etc. really helps in compensating for Avg Acads.
3. Will my recent switch have any negative impact on my B school app.
4. What should be my areas of improvement to have a decent chance for the top B schools(preferably 1-1.5 year programs) .

Appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks in Advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 am
Hello there my friend,
Let's start with your questions:

1. What GMAT score I should target to compensate for my Avg Acads.
What can I say? The higher the better.

2. Does online courses from Coursera etc. really helps in compensating for Avg Acads.
Not really.

3. Will my recent switch have any negative impact on my B school app.
On the contrary. IT should be good for you.

4. What should be my areas of improvement to have a decent chance for the top B schools(preferably 1-1.5 year programs) .
a. Make sure you have one good solid community service thing (ideally with leadership opportunities) and stick with it for three years!
b. keep on moving up. and try to stay "ahead of the class" at work.
c. take any and all opportunities for leadership at work or elsewhere

That should keep you busy for a while :)

Hope it helps!
Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.