Cant improve Verbal..1 month left for GMAT. pls suggest.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
Took Kaplan CAT.My Quant score is consistantly 49 in last 4 mock Kaplan CATs. But Verbal still at 32.
My verbal score:(29,28,35,32)
Please suggest how can I jump to 42 in a months time.
Solved OG 13(thrice), OG Verbal review.
Thanx in Advance :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 am
Hi operaz,

A 40+ Verbal Scaled Score is the 90th+ percentile, so you're talking about a high-level performance. There's more to the Verbal section than just the content - there are patterns, rarer grammar rules and common wrong answers (to avoid). Then there are the physical and psychological challenges that you have to master - if you are too tired or make careless mistakes (missing details, not taking notes, etc.) or have pacing problems, then you might lose too many points along the way.

How well are you currently performing in SC, RC and CR?

Since you're scoring in the high-20s and low-30s, you may have peaked doing things "your way." To raise your Verbal score that much, you will likely have to learn to "see" the Verbal section differently, meaning that you'll have to learn (and practice )some new tactics. As such, you'll might consider investing in some new GMAT materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by operaz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:19 pm
Hey Rich..
Your tip: "Since you're scoring in the high-20s and low-30s, you may have peaked doing things "your way." To raise your Verbal score that much, you will likely have to learn to "see" the Verbal section differently, meaning that you'll have to learn (and practice )some new tactics."
I agree with that..Thanks :)
-Operaz.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Hi Operaz.,

Have you looked into any resources besides the two OG books that you've used? While I'm a big fan of those books (because they're populated with questions that once appeared on the GMAT), they're not geared around teaching extensive and consistent strategies.

You're asking about a significant improvement in your Verbal score, so it's going to take more than "tips" or "suggestions" or even a couple of examples.

Among SC, RC and CR, which category is your strongest? Which is your weakest? How often to you take notes when answering questions and how often are you just "winging it" by looking at the answers and picking the one that "sounds good?"

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 pm
How have you been using your practice scratch paper when you attack Verbal questions?

The yellow "scratch pad" you use when you work on GMAT Verbal will be your greatest asset in following excellent strategy and staying organized through difficulty questions. Never attempt to do a Sentence Correction question in your head. For each Sentence Correction question, write out each letter A through E and cross off as your eliminate. Save these notes as your do practice questions and CATs - notice how your scratch work directly reflects the reason you get a question incorrect.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by operaz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:52 am
Hey Rich,
Sorry for replying late.
Yes, apart from OG 13 & OG Verbal review, other books I finished for Verbal are:
Manhattan 4th Edition, PowerScore CR Bible, Princeton review, Kaplan Premere & Kaplan 800.
To update you, my scores have worsen.

My Kaplan CAT Scores this far:
570 (Q 45, V 21)-Diagnostic
620 (Q 47, V 29)
640 (Q 49, V 28)
680 (Q 49, V 35)
650 (Q 49, V 32)
620 (Q 44, V 34)
580 (Q 43, V 27)

Which is close to my Diagnostic :(

My Strongest is CR>SC>RC.
I usually mark ABCDE and cancel the confirmed wrong answers. For RC I DONOT make any passage map.
In SC many times I find sentences difficult to understand may be coz I am not a native English speaker.
Any tip will be helpful, I am 20 days from my actual GMAT, please let me know.

Regards,
Operaz!

by operaz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 am
VivianKerr wrote:How have you been using your practice scratch paper when you attack Verbal questions?

The yellow "scratch pad" you use when you work on GMAT Verbal will be your greatest asset in following excellent strategy and staying organized through difficulty questions. Never attempt to do a Sentence Correction question in your head. For each Sentence Correction question, write out each letter A through E and cross off as your eliminate. Save these notes as your do practice questions and CATs - notice how your scratch work directly reflects the reason you get a question incorrect.
Hi VivianKerr

Yes, I use the scratch paper exactly that way! :)
Thanks!

Operaz!

by operaz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:31 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Operaz.,

Have you looked into any resources besides the two OG books that you've used? While I'm a big fan of those books (because they're populated with questions that once appeared on the GMAT), they're not geared around teaching extensive and consistent strategies.

You're asking about a significant improvement in your Verbal score, so it's going to take more than "tips" or "suggestions" or even a couple of examples.

Among SC, RC and CR, which category is your strongest? Which is your weakest? How often to you take notes when answering questions and how often are you just "winging it" by looking at the answers and picking the one that "sounds good?"

Rich
Hey Rich,
Sorry for replying late.
Yes, apart from OG 13 & OG Verbal review, other books I finished for Verbal are:
Manhattan 4th Edition, PowerScore CR Bible, Princeton review, Kaplan Premere & Kaplan 800.
To update you, my scores have worsen.

My Kaplan CAT Scores this far:
570 (Q 45, V 21)-Diagnostic
620 (Q 47, V 29)
640 (Q 49, V 28)
680 (Q 49, V 35)
650 (Q 49, V 32)
620 (Q 44, V 34)
580 (Q 43, V 27)

Which is close to my Diagnostic Sad

My Strongest is CR>SC>RC.
I usually mark ABCDE and cancel the confirmed wrong answers. For RC I DONOT make any passage map.
In SC many times I find sentences difficult to understand may be coz I am not a native English speaker.
Any tip will be helpful, I am 20 days from my actual GMAT, please let me know.

Regards,
Operaz!