profile evaluation.need help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

profile evaluation.need help

by pruthvi532 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am
Hi,

I am 24 years Old Male Engineer. Working in Oil & Gas Sector for past 34 months.Planning to apply for Fall 2016.

Job Description:
Working as Key Accounts Manager(34 months) in Lubricants Department of IndianOil Corporation Limited(Govt of India PSU) which is the highest ranked indian company in Fortune 500.
My key job responsibilities are increasing sales of Lubricants, technical development of products, monitoring the outstanding payments of clients, promotional activities etc., in the assigned area. I am doing turnover of around ₹3500 millions. The job is such that it will make one to feel that he is running his own company considering the responsibilities, freedom, target oriented evaluation within the framed policies.

GMAT Score:
730 (Q49,V39,IR7)

College Background:
Completed Mech Engg in 2011 from Sri Venkateswara University College of Engg, (Top 3 Engg college in Andhra Pradesh, India)
Secured percentage of 79.5% & will be well within Top 10 among the class of 60.
Class Representative for 3rd & 4th year of Engg based on voting. Main Organiser of Mech Engg class activities & Member of Executive commitee to organise the College Fest.
12th percentage of 96.3% from private college,AP & 10th percentage of 78.3% from Railway School, AP

I will be applying ISB, Kellogg, NUS, Rotman, HEC Paris.
I need your guidance & suggestion regarding the chances in above colleges. Also, i am interested to apply IVY league colleges like HBS, Wharton, Booth, LBS . So kindly suggest my probability of standings in these B-schools and need guidance in selection of colleges for applying.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 am
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. I've provided my thoughts below but you'll notice a fair number of questions too. While you provided some good info, I need a biittttt more! But let's see what we've got here first!

Academics

Solid GMAT (well done!) and a great GPA with a difficult major. You went to a Tier II / III school (yeah, I know it's ranked highly in AP but that only counts for so much) but you can't change that. Overall, I'd say your academic profile, for your peer set, is a bit below average solely based on where you went to school. If you had gone to an IIT, you'd be above average all else equal. However, this die is cast and so it comes down to the rest of your profile!

Professional Experiences

Ok - it seems you have a lot here. From the way you make it sound, it seems you're in charge of a P&L but I highly doubt that given a) your age and b) the company. So I'm going to guess you're in more of a biz dev / sales role? If that's the case, then you're right in that you have a bit more autonomy than most out there. I also like how you aren't in IT. That is a plus! However, if I'm wrong about your work, let me know! Also, what do you DO? Do you lead teams? What has your impact been? How do you rank among your peers? Any promotions? Accelerated career trajectory?

Involvement

You haven't mentioned anything here. It doesn't have to be NGO volunteering. Anything counts if you are passionate about it and you do it outside of work. It seems you have some solid involvement in school but it seems to end there. If that's the case, then this next year should be all about rounding out that part of your profile!

Goals

You haven't mentioned anything here. Why do you want your MBA? What do you want to do after?

Schools

I can't even begin to assess your chances yet or suggest schools. For one, I don't know what you want to do. For another, there are some outstanding questions regarding the details of your profile.

I hope this helps get the conversation started!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!