Retake with 710 (Q48, V40, IR5) ?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retake with 710 (Q48, V40, IR5) ?

by batman08 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:08 pm
Hi all,

I finally got done with my GMAT this week. I got a 710 overall score (92 percentile) with 48 in Quant (74 percentile), 40 in Verbal (91 percentile) and 5 in IR (52 percentile). I am not terribly happy about my score due to the low percentiles in the Quant and IR sections. I am a Software Engineer and have an advanced degree in mathematics :( from a top 5 US university.

I got the same overall score in GMATPrep mocks (in the week leading up to my exam) with scores between 48-50 in Quant and 35-40 in Verbal. In my last GMATPrep mock, I got a 50 in Quant with only 3 incorrect questions. Verbal didn't go so well due to timing issue.

I found the Quant questions in the actual exam to be a bit trickier than what I had encountered during my preparation. Also, my AWA didn't go as well as I had wanted to. I was barely able to finish it before time ran out and this unsettled me a bit going into IR.

I have been studying for a long time for the test and rescheduled my appointment a couple of times in the hope of improving my score. I am wondering if this an ok score to apply to the top B schools in US or should I retake the exam ? Will the low percentiles in Quant and IR hinder my chances ? I want to apply for MBA programs this year and would ideally not like to give the exam again. Also, if I do think about applying again, can I realistically improve my score ? Please note that I have been studying for around 5 months. Would appreciate any advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:32 pm
Hi batman08,

First off, a 710/Q48 is a fantastic score, so you shouldn't worry about the percentiles. You have a score that will allow you to comfortably apply to any US Business School. If you have questions about any specific Business Schools, then you might be better off speaking with an Admissions Expert about your plans (there is a Sub-Forum full of experts on this site). Barring a rare set of circumstance, you won't need to retest.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:00 pm
Broadly speaking, schools care most about seeing a high 200-800 score, preferably one that starts with a 7. Here's why I think you shouldn't retake it:

- Schools will only really worry about a discrepancy between Quant and Verbal if they don't have any other proof of your Quant prowess (e.g. if you were a literature major who worked in PR). An advanced degree in math DEFINITELY speaks volumes about your Quant chops, so they won't worry about it.

- A 5 on IR isn't going to sing your praises, but it's not a deal-breaker either. All of the current conventional wisdom is that schools care about IR slightly more than they care about the essay, but still way less than they care about the 200-800 score. A 5 will not be a dealbreaker if they like you otherwise.

- Your time would be much better spent polishing your essays. A 730 v. a 710 will not be a huge difference to an admissions committee, but a good essay v. mediocre essay certainly will be.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sultana199 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 pm
At first, congrats for your excellent score. You have a brilliant score, so no need to think much about it. But if you are not satisfy with it, then, you can think of retake.