Study plan - Need Plan

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Study plan - Need Plan

by AbhishekAgarwal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:40 pm
Hi,

I have been preparing on & off for GMAT using MGMAT 5th Edition books since past 1.5 yrs. Due to work pressure I was never able to give my 100% to studies.
Now I have decided to pour in my soul for prep. I want your help in my study plan & resource material.
Please help !

1) Quant: Since I went through all the MGMAT guides once & most of the OG13 questions as well, is it wise to go through them again. OR shall I buy Kaplan math workbook & premier to study in combination with MGMAT books?

2) Verbal: I am planning to enroll myself in e-gmat course.

3) Most of the study plans involve solving OG questions in parallel while learning concepts. It is good practice or we shall solve OG only after competing concept guides.

4) I am targeting a 2.5 months plan & to appear for GMAT around mid -to- late September.

Please guide me.

Thanks,
-Abhi

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:18 pm
Hi Abhi,

Since you've done some prior studying already, have you taken any practice CATs recently? If you haven't, it's important to take one soon so we can get a sense of your current ability level, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

2.5 months is plenty of time to study, but you'll have to commit to a consistent study schedule. What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm
You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide). Over 25,000 Beat The GMAT students have already done so.
Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by AbhishekAgarwal » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 pm
I did gave a mock test in April & score was 600.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:28 am
Hi AbhishekAgarwal,

A 600 is a solid baseline score, so you've retained some of your knowledge from your prior studies. Going forward, you have to make sure to take the ENTIRE practice CAT every time, so you can work on everything, including your endurance and pacing skills.

In answer to your questions:

1) Redoing prior questions (even those that you got correct), review, etc. is a good idea. It's not just about answering questions though. You should be looking to reinforce tactics/knowledge, attempt questions in different ways, practice pattern-matching, etc.

2) Like the Quant section, the Verbal section is predictable and pattern-based. You should never be "winging it" in the Verbal section. Regardless of which Course you might use, make sure that you're approaching the Verbal section with the proper tactics.

3) The OG13 is a great book of practice questions. You can use it any way you'd like, but Courses tend to segment that book in different ways.

If your goal is to score 700+, you'll likely need the structure of a GMAT Course. There are plenty to choose from. Do some research (most GMAT Companies offer some type of free/trial resources) and pick the one that best fits your personality, budget and timeline.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by AbhishekAgarwal » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 pm
Hi,

I enrolled for "Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide" course but I am not getting any mails. I enrolled myself twice but no luck.

What to do? Please guide.

Thanks,
-Abhi

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:43 am
Have you received your first email yet?
If not, you might want to contact Sorin (https://www.beatthegmat.com/member/2/profile)
He's in charge of the Study Guide email program.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by AbhishekAgarwal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:38 pm
Thanks. I've posted him a private message.