T - 10 Days, best way to bump up Quant score?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello!

My test is scheduled for the 22nd, just about 10 days away. I've spent the past month and a half seriously studying, and Quant in general has been my biggest weakness. I'm aiming for a 720, and in the last practice test I took (GMAT Prep Exam Pack, exam 4) my score was a 710 (IR 4, Q45, V41). I'm basically looking to up my quant score to a 48 - 50,and would appreciate any strategies for the last couple of days that will help me focus on improving this score.

I plan to take one practice test every day (with extensive review of mistakes) during the last week, with targeted practice from the Quant Review in the concepts I'm still struggling with in these tests.

In addition, any recommendations for specific tests or resources (MGMAT, Princeton Review etc.) that tend to have trickier quant questions (in the logic sense, not in the time-consuming convoluted arithmetic and calculation sense) that will help me practice 700+ questions that are as close to those seen on the GMAT as possible would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by TarunaSaini » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:45 am
If you want to practice more difficult questions you can try Kaplan 800. It has a good collection of questions in quant and verbal + contains strategies for hard questions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:16 am
Hi nandinitaneja,

While it's understandable that you're interested in working on some harder material, have you done a thorough assessment of the questions that you've been getting wrong recently?

When you take a CAT, how often are you getting questions wrong because they're too hard and how often are you getting them wrong because you made a silly mistake? At your current scoring level, a few silly mistakes at in-opportune points in the exam can lead to a significant shift in score. At this point in the process, your precision/accuracy/thoroughness are areas that you should also be working on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by nandinitaneja » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm
Good point Rich. After looking through the questions I've missed on my past CAT's it's an equal split between messing up a question because of a silly mistake even though I fundamentally know how to do, and messing up a question because I'm not able to figure out the logic/concept behind it.

The second thing I still struggle with is pacing the quant section well enough to not need to rush through the last 5 to 7 questions (which has been a repetitive issue in every CAT I've taken), hence the plan to take 1 practice test every day to practice pacing strategy and getting comfortable with guessing on questions that are taking too long.

Given these, what do you recommend as the best use of my time in the next couple of days?

Thanks for the help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm
Hi nandinitaneja,

Taking a CAT every day is probably NOT going to solve your pacing/guessing problems. Working on practice questions, quizzes, etc. is how you hone those skills. The CAT is a way to measure your progress. With a daily CAT, you're far more likely to perform the exact same way (and burn yourself out) than if you took 1 CAT/week (give or take).

Your last 10 days should include 1-2 CATs and lots of review. Some focus on Quant tactics (as opposed to "math practice") should help with improving your Quant score, but you have to get comfortable using those tactics, so that you can apply them during your CATs (and on Test Day).

Rich

by nandinitaneja » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 pm
That makes sense, I think my pacing might be better addressed with timed drills versus full length CAT's. I think by quant tactics you mean reviewing plugging in, back solving and other strategies, is that right?

Really appreciate all your help Rich!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:13 pm
Hi nandinitaneja,

Yes, I am referring to the tactics that you listed (the "names" of those tactics vary depending on who you talk to, but you'll find that those approaches are quite useful when dealing with GMAT Quant questions).

Rich