Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

RC

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:24 am
IMO- E

read these lines from the passage " denser , material from the moon's mantle rose up beneath beneath the impactors almost immediately , compensating for ejected material " .

This is a specific reference question and answer to the specific reference questions are generally found 3-4 lines above the referenced line asked in question or sometimes at the beginning at the paragraph .

Followed by:11 members
GMAT Score:760

by mcdesty » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm
When a large body strikes a planet or moon, material is ejected, thereby creating a hole in the planet and a local deficit of mass. This deficit shows up as a gravity anomaly:the removal of material that has been ejected to make the hole results in an area in slightly lower gravity than surrounding areas. One would therefore expect that all of the large multi-ring impact basins on the surface of earth's moon would show such negative gravity anomalies, since they are, essentially, large holes in lunar surface. Yet data collected in 1994 by the Clemenstine spacecraft show that manyof these Clementine basins have no anomalously low gravity and some even have anomalously high gravity. Scientists speculate that early in lunar history, when large impactors struck the moon's surface, causing millions of cubic kilometers of crustal debris to be ejected, denser material from the moon's mantle rose up beneath the impactors almost immediately, compensating for the ejected material and thus leaving no gravity anomaly in the resulting basin. Later, however, as moon grew cooler and less elastic, rebound from large impactors would have been only partial and incomplete. Thus today such gravitational compensation probably would not occur: the outer layer of moon is too cold and stiff.

If you read the bolded parts, you should get the gist of the passage.

When you see an According to the passage question, it's time to look for the information, NOT THINK!
I have made your mistakes before.
I am experienced - I have tutored calculus and linear algebra for over two years.
For a very modest fee, I will ensure that your GMAT journey is a smooth one: Daily assignments and careful micro management.
PM me so we can get started.