Road to a humble 720 (Q49, V 40)., IR-4, AWA-5.5

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:4 members
The Rookie (Dec 11, 2013)
----------------------

It all started last September when I decided to take GMAT and pursue MBA degree to take my career to next level. I did some research and got OGs and some other material and asked a couple of friends. Started doing various sections from OG as per some schedule and was trying to understand the solutions from OG itself (rookie mistake). Anyhow, when one of my friend, who's already pursuing MIS in US, pointed that I should check last dates for applications, I panicked to discover that it was Jan first week and I'll have to take exam in first week of Dec to have 3-4 weeks for applications (Another rookie mistake to think that we can prepare applications in 2-3 weeks). This was end of october.

Before starting serious prep, I decided to take free GMATprep test and scored 620. I thought I was at a good position and will go up from here. With some prep, I decided to take up a course to give a structure and boost to my prep. With some research and trying Economist GMAT free for 1 week,I decided to go with their course. For next 30 days, I studied for average of 6 hrs a day sometime going up to 10 hrs and 1 day touching 16 hrs also( didn't left my room that day :D).
I liked their course structure and freedom to study at my own pace (More review at the bottom). By end of November I had completed their 95% of the course and took their Sim tests in last 2-3 weeks( scores below). I was averaging around 680. It was less than my target score of 700+, but still I thought maybe on the D-day I might cross 700.

Studied for IR , but it was not up to mark. Manhattan offers free lessons for IR, which are better. Got a couple of essay's reviewed from Economist GMAT tutors which was quite helpful. I liked their template and tips for essay.

So with all the above prep, I pepped myself for the D-Day.

D-Day: Got up. Was feeling ok. Got my id. Got my snacks--choco chip buiscuits, a couple of juices, a chocolate. Was feeling ok. Started early and reached center on time. Was ushered into center 20 min before my appointment and after other formalities, I was assigned a system for the test. I was ready to start test on time.

Test: Started with the essay. Was ok. Used Economist GMAT template and completed essay 4 minutes early. Reviewed and decided to make some changes , which I couldn't even complete. With a little sourness there, I moved to IR. It was ok. Somehow, survived that.

Then started the real test. Started with Quant. It was ok sometimes, sometimes tough. Struggled a bit, but was overall satisfied with my performance. Came in a good mood for break. I relaxed, freshened up and had my snacks. Told myself that I am on a good curve and will be able to score good.

I went back in and started verbal. It started ok. Then somehow, my mind started slowing down. I spent too much time on an RC and screwed my timing. My mind was fatigued and it was getting harder for me to concentrate. It was a struggle from then on. Somehow completed the section and pressed finish.

A devastating 610 stared at me. I was indeed shocked and was dejected for next 2-3 days. It was repeat of what I have been getting as a result in all Indian exams I have taken so far in last 4-5 years. I really doubted if I have in me to raise my performance from there.

The Challenger (June 20, 2014)
-------------------------------

A couple of months went by. I had decided to take GMAT again in mid-Dec, but couldn't study due to some personal reasons. So finally, Feb end I decided to start my prep again.

Introspection: First thing to do was to introspect. To understand where I went wrong the last time. One thing was clear-Verbal was the impediment I had to overcome to get a good score. So, started searching for help. I came across E-Gmat courses. I attended couple of their webinars and was impressed by the simple tips they were offering to tackle most difficult of the Qs types in verbal. Checked their free trial and was hooked. Decided to buy their Verbal online course (without classes as I didn't want to attend any classes. In retrospect it might have added couple more points to my current score). From March till Last week of April I followed the plan sent by E-Gmat for verbal religiously and tried to complete their maximum course.

Once done, I attended couple of strategy sessions by Rajat from E-gmat to formulate my strategy. One thing stuck with me-Although verbal will boost score by more points, improving in quant will also help. As quant is a strength for us , we should use it to our advantage. Till this point didn't do much prep for Quant.

Now, I decided to include Quant also. So,bought Quant review. I had done all Qs from OG'13 2 times, so was no point doing them again. Finished the book in a week. Then moved to GC Tests (Got in package with E-gmat course. ). They were indeed super hard. But first 3-4 CATs, taught me so many new tips and tricks that by fifth test, I scored a healthy 47( on a test which had 90% 700+ Qs). Just reviewed whatever mistakes I was making and tried to improve them.
I took a GMATprep free mock after this and scored a dejecting 600. It felt all the above hard labour was for nothing. After moping for some time , I decided to review my test and identified areas of improvement. One of them was Stamina.

By the start of May, I was following a study plan which was in summary something like this. Each day I had to sit for 4+ hours on my desk to build my stamina for main test (which I did for 90% of time going forward). Focus 70% of time in week on Verbal (revising concepts, doing problems from OGs, GC CATS and any other resources) and 30% time on Quant ( mainly taking 3-4 GC CATS in a week and revising them) and at the end of the week taking a Mock ( mainly Manhattans). Now, I had heard that Manhattans were tough, but found them competitive and indeed found hard to score on them. I ranged around 650 with a dip of 620 and a spike of 670.

Most of the times not seeing my scores improve killed me. In the meanwhile, one of my mentors and friend advised me to read for 2 hours from US based websites and journals dealing with various subject matters daily. He said it will help me improve verbal and I think indeed this advice helped.

So, mocks were a constant disappointment. But after initial dejection, I used to sit down and see what was weighing down and how can I improve on those areas. I used to analyze how can I cut losses and score maximum. Understanding the test structure and scoring is vital for this.
With all this, I left no stone unturned. I pushed myself as much as I can also keeping in mind not to burn out. Took breaks at appropriate times and had good meals and sleep. On last MGMAT I scored a 650, disappointing me again. I had made my mind till now that even if I fail on this attempt, I will study more and will take another shot in a month or two.

But after 2 days, when I took GMATprep-2 free mock, I score a beautiful 740. I was ecstatic, but told myself not to count my chickens before they hatch. Took that as any other mock and reviewed Qs explanations from GC and BTG forums. 2 days before the test took GMATprep-1 free mock retest and scored 770. I knew I will score this as a lot of Qs were seen, but I just needed something to boost my confidence, to make sure I maintain endurance for 4 hrs in test and to make sure I don't face any test jitters.

Mostly for the last 2 days-relaxed a bit, revised Economist GMAT's essay template and my old essays and practiced some IR( I hate this section).

D-Day: Got up on time. Freshened up. Had same breakfast which I had for last 3 Mocks, packed same snacks as I had for last 3 mocks( tried and tested a lot of drinks and biscuits but finalized in end on Light biscuits and orange Gatorade) and left for center. Reached there on time and was ushered in room on time.

I was quite calm and told myself that I have done whatever I can and there is nothing I could do now. Let's hope for the best and give the best shot. Was sitting on assigned desk on time.

Test: Started with essay. I read a tip on GC that we should try typing some sentences on tutorial screen to accustom our hands to the keyboard. I did that, and as I had practiced essays in all my mocks, I smoothly wrote a 5 -para critique following Economist GMAT's template. Once done, moved to IR. Just made sure that I didn't spend too much time on a Qs . My target time was 3 min/Q leaving 2 Qs (Following Manhattan lessons).

Once done, felt confident. Thought I did well in IR and essay. Took my break, had my snacks, freshened up and calmed my senses. Went in to attack Quant section. After working with GC tests and Manhattan Quant, the GMAT's quant didn't trouble me much. Had my timings set and followed them religiously. Wherever I thought the Qs might take more time to be solved or I am not sure of the Qs, I skipped that. So, quant section went well too.

Came out, repeated the same steps of the break and told myself-Now is the real test. I calmed myself and reassured myself that I have prepared for this and there is nothing else I might have done. Went in with a positive mindset and starting going through the section. As my accuracy was 90% for RC and SC , my main strategy was to attempt these fully devoting ample time, making sure a Qs does not more time than average. I was weak in CR, so decided to just blindly mark any assumption Qs, Inference Qs, paradox (if statement is very long ) or any weird type of Qs., so that I can spend that time on other Qs of verbal and CR ( Strengtheners, weakeners, bold-face, flaw in reasoning etc).

Followed my tried and tested timing( developed during mocks)and above strategy and skipped couple of CR Qs at the end to focus on 2 SCs at the end. And it was done. My heart skipped a beat.
Quickly went through those last BG Qs and system prompted me if I want to check my score.

Keeping my left hand on my eyes..I clicked yes and slowly peeked though my fingers. There it was a humble 720 (Q49, V40). Was disappointed by 4 in IR. But recently received a 5.5 in AWA..so happy about that.

Although was expecting close to 740, was relieved to see a 720 too. It felt finally my long wait is over and all the hard work has paid off.

A ton of thanks to E-GMAT for breaking down verbal to such simple level, to Economist GMAT for providing a big help in setting foundation of syllabus. . Thanks to all the GC and BTG family and forums. These are indeed a very vital and integral part of the journey. Stories of people achieving their goals despite facing major setbacks kept me going. Tips and tricks for the game helped me prepare much better for the D-day. And without support of family and friends it would not have been possible to reach at this destination. I will always be in debt of all described above.

This out of way, now focus is on applications. Hope I can make to a good b-school and kept myself evolving each day ahead.

Mocks:
Please see the image attached below

Materials Used:
----------------------------------

OG'13, Verbal Review and Quant Review-Must haves. Attempt Qs in these books, after you are done with 70-80% of the syllabus. Do review the Qs that you got wrong.

Economist GMAT Tutor: Good system. Can be improved. Content was good. But it started repeating a lot. Especially for RC, same passage starts irritating you after a while. Still their Quant is good enough, once done, you don't need any books for foundation to intermediate level. Essay template was good. Tips for RC, CR were good. Tests can be hugely improved. Support was good. All in all 3.5/5 if I have to rate them.

E-Gmat: Online verbal course. Very nice. SC is rocking. CR is pretty good also. RC although had some good concepts, I think can be improved. Economist GMAT's RC course helped me more. Offered IR also, but couldn't use it. Their strategy sessions are also quite helpful. I attended verbal workshop, couldn't find much out of that. But still a 4.5/5 for E-gmat. Was worth every penny I spent on this course.

GC Clubs Tests (For both QA and VA sections.)-They came free with E-Gmat course. They helped boost my prep to next level. They have Qs from Med to Super hard. Learned a lot from them. Only drawback was less number of VA Qs/CATs and explanations of some Qs were not so clear. Still a 4/5 for them.

Manhattan Mocks: Tough , but provides good prep for the real deal. I got them free with Manhattan CR. They were the best and cheapest tests for me. 4/5.

Manhattan IR Course: Awesome and it is free. If couldn't score much. But free course provides good insights.

GMAT Question Pack: Value for money. Must have. The Qs should be done in last 2-2.5 weeks.

Kaplan 800: Total waste of money. Please ignore this one.

Magoosh Mobile Apps both for idioms and Quant :Awesome. Helped a lot. Used to revise before sleeping from them. Available on Android.

GmatClub's Android App: Awesome again.

Final Tips:
------------------------

1. Keep a positive attitude and try to learn from mistakes, mocks, questions and try to recognize patterns.
2. Try to follow a disciplined approach and life for this. Helps sync body and brain.
3. Take ample rest. Do try to push yourself, but in a gradual manner, don't burn out.
4. Read positive posts from all mentors, instructors or fellow test-takers for more insights on how to tackle the test.
5. Manage error lists and create flash cards for major/recurring topics/themes tested.

PM Me if you need any help. Sorry for quite a long post and for any mistakes in writing :D

Cheers..
Digvijay Anand

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by santa_fe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:02 pm
Hi Digvijay,

Your post gives me a lots of inspiration. Thanx for describing your wonderful journey and congratulations for your grt score in GMAT.

Regards,
Santa Fe

by cchaitanya » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 pm
Hi Digvijay,

Thanks for your story. It was truly motivating.
All the best with your applications.

by Digvijay01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 am
Glad I could help.. :)
santa_fe wrote:Hi Digvijay,

Your post gives me a lots of inspiration. Thanx for describing your wonderful journey and congratulations for your grt score in GMAT.

Regards,
Santa Fe

by Digvijay01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 am
cchaitanya wrote:Hi Digvijay,

Thanks for your story. It was truly motivating.
All the best with your applications.
Thanks much.. I am grateful for appreciation.

by vineetsha » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm
Good debrief. Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.