Shattering 3rd attempt..not sure what to do next!! Plz help

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
Recently i gave my 3rd attempt of GMAT in hope to get 700+, but result was just opposite, i landed upon 620(Q49, V26) IR 7.
My last two attempts have score as 640(Q50, V26) IR 7 and 680(Q49, V31) IR 3.

I have given approx 15 practice tests between 2nd and 3rd attempt and my average score was 710. But m not sure what went wrong on the exam day that lead to this devastating score.

I want to get admitted into top 30 MBA program of US.
I have currently 3.9 years of experience in IT industry. I will be having almost 5 years of experience while joining the college in next year fall.
I belong to highly competitive pool i.e. Indian/Male/I.T . I am involved in decent number of extra curricular activities and have above average academics.

Can anyone help me out here, if my recent score of 620 will have negative impact on my profile and if i apply through 680 marks to MBA programs, by any chance i can make into top 20-30 MBA programs of US.
Also, if i go for another attempt do 4 attempts on GMAT will show the lack of potential in me as an MBA aspirant for top MBA programs.
Please expert reply.

Thanks,
Satyam

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:24 am
Hi Satyam,

There are a number of questions that need to be answered, so that we can figure out what was "different" about Test Day.

First, your GMAT scores are good right now. With a 680/Q49, you could apply to most US Business Schools and have a reasonable chance of getting in. Keep in mind that the application process is several "pieces" (one of which is the GMAT), so you'll need a strong overall application if your goal is to apply to a competitive and/or Top10 School.

You mentioned that your average practice CAT score was a 710, so we have to look for differences between those CATs and the real GMAT. So, what was different? Here, you really have to do some analysis. Here are some things to think about:

1) Did you take the entire CAT every time (or did you skip the Essay and/or IR sections)?
2) What time of day and day of the week did you take your CATs?
3) Was there anything physically different or "unrealistic" about how you took your CATs? (at home, on a laptop, listening to music, etc.)
4) What did you do in the last week before your GMAT? What did you do during the last 48 hours?
5) Was there anything surprising or unusual about Test Day itself?

Business Schools don't really care if you take the GMAT more than once. However, if your score continues to hover around 620 (after scoring 680 on a prior GMAT), then that won't "look good." You might consider speaking with an Admissions Expert to assess your situation. There is a sub-Forum on this site that you can post questions to; the Experts there should be able to offer some advice.

If you do end up choosing to take the GMAT again, you're going to have to invest in some new resources to help you improve in the Verbal section. That's essentially where you're going to find all of your missing points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxmbaconsulting » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:40 am
Hi Satyam,

I beg to differ with the last poster - schools see exactly when and how many times you took the GMAT (in the last 5 years) when you submit your application. At this point I would accept the 680 and start focusing on crafting your MBA application story.

Best
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Senior Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members
GMAT Score:760

by mcdesty » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 am
My story is very similar to yours. I don't think schools care how many times you took the GMAT. Such factors as the aforementioned might only count when a school wants to choose between two equally qualified candidates; If you nail the test on your next attempt, you might not be in such a situation.

The GMAT test assesses your readiness for business school. Your score on the GMAT answers the question: Is this candidate ready to handle the rigors of our program? By acing the test, your answer to the question will be : "I wasn't ready for your program before, but I am now."

Taking this test many times can even be a positive factor that enhances your application. There are many sectors in business in which tenacious CEO's are the most successful; If Jeff Bezos had tried to turn a profit early, Amazon wouldn't have become the eCommerce titan it is today. My analogy might leave you scratching your head but it doesn't make my point invalid. I am sure you can come up with your own example that foots the bill. Put your SOP to use here.

The marginal cost, $250, of retesting is greater than the marginal revenue : happiness (saved money from your future depression therapist), higher future earnings, etc. Retesting exists for the very purpose of ensuring that you are satisfied with whatever your final score, come application time, turns out to be: either by resignation or by elation.
Read what Rich said above carefully; Answering his questions actively - with a pen and paper over a cup of coffee- might help you solve the paradox of your test scores vs your practice test scores.