Effectiveness of alternative transcript

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Effectiveness of alternative transcript

by jayaramgokul » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:46 am
Hi Sir,

I wanted to know more about an alternative transcript's role in an MBA admission.

I have seen plenty of situation where either due to maturity, health concerns or even due to unforeseen circumstances, students tend to drop down on their GPAs and later reproduce a fresh alternative transcript to redeem their UG fallacies.

My query is, is this method effective? I actually wanted an answer based on your experience with students aspiring for MBA in the US. I ask this because I have seen quite a number of students who approach an admission via such a route, however on some case it hasn't been successful although in some other cases it has turned out positive.

I am not sure whether the unsuccessful cases had anything to do with their application in general or otherwise, but all the more I have heard of situations where this method doesn't really work, especially when we are trying for schools on top 10 range.

My question is simple... I want to know how exactly the admission committee looks into alternative transcript (online or offline.. Presumably from top US colleges) if the reason for the same is genuine?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 am
Hi there--
Thanks for your post; somehow I thought I'd already responded, perhaps on another board?? ;) No worries-- in any case, yes an alternate transcript can assist with admissions in certain cases. As you indicated, if there are questions related to academics (due to lower than average GPA; trouble in specific classes; lack of quant coursework; etc).... taking courses now, preferably at a reputable university, where a GRADE will be given, and getting A's, ideally in coursework that is quantitative in nature and relevant to a b-school curriculum.... is a way to strengthen one's application (again when needed) and to demonstrate that you CAN handle the academic rigor and quantitative challenges you'll face during the MBA.

So yes it is considered within the overall application and admissions decision. Will it always be ENOUGH to get someone accepted into the program of your choice?? It depends! There are many admissions factors considered.... past leadership and management experiences; people and project management; extracurricular involvement; professional accomplishments; reasons for the MBA; goals; fit with the school; make-up and diversity of the class, etc. So all aspects are considered when applying to b-school. But yes, as per actual admissions committee members, alternate transcripts, with A's in relevant courses, have helped applicants where there could have been a doubt or concern regarding their academic ability.

Hope that helps!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jayaramgokul » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 am
Wow..! Of course that helped ! Thank you very much for your consideration.

PS: I stick to this forum most of the time.. It couldn't have been me..!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:50 pm
You're welcome! ;) (haha maybe I thought I replied!)
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders