AWA - The author ... he or she? or something else?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey there,

so I just started practicing the AWA part. I have a very basic question but it is still important:
When writing the essay, I use to write "The author claims ... " "The author refuses to ...". But what can you write instead of "the author"? Is it possible to write "He claims / She claims?"

The gender of the author is usually not stated. I don't know if there is a general rule in written english since I'm not a native speaker.

Hence, is there a general rule? Or what do you write instead of "the author"?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by mevicks » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 am
Best solution to your dilemma : Use the words The argument ...

Apart from that this image from "my screenshot collection" might be helpful :

Regards,
Vivek

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:540

by sahilchaudhary » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:43 pm
You can use 'the argument' or 'the author' as you don't know whether he is a male or female.
Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
https://www.sahilchaudhary007.blocked

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 am
Just to pick up on the previous two responses: one thing that you can do is to to mention the actual source of the argument.

So in addition to "the author" and "the argument" you can definitely reference the specific source mentioned such as "the advertisement" if it is an ad or "the editorial" or the "speaker" of the "city council member" or whatever it is. Using some of the vocabulary that the argument uses and being specific as to where it came from is always a good thing!

You can also be more specific as to which part of the argument, such as "the conclusion states" if it is the conclusion. Or "the evidence says" if it is the evidence.

You are right to avoid the problem of "He said / She said."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nhollier » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:41 pm
Is it ok to say "they" instead of the author?
I usually say 'they' instead of he/she when the gender is not known, but since this is technically not grammatical would this be considered a mistake when marking the essay?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:04 pm
Hi nohollier,

Unless the prompt is about MORE than 1 person, then the pronoun "they" is grammatically incorrect. There are a variety of words/phrases that you can use though, including:

1) the author
2) the prompt
3) the argument
4) the logic
5) he OR she (just pick one and stick to it).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:11 am
I am going to have to agree with Rich on this one. Don't use "they" since most arguments on the AWA are from a single person or source.

Perhaps my favorite way to refer to the material is to use the context given to you at the beginning of the argument. Examples of this context are "an advertisement found in a travel magazine," "a speech given by a city council member," and "memo prepared by an investment firm."

So in addition to the things mentioned by Rich you can also refer directly to the prompt and use "the advertisement" or "the memo" or you can say, "the city councilor said" (whichever is appropriate for that prompt).

There are plenty of ways to refer to the text of the argument and to keep some variety without using "they."
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course