My Admission chances ??

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

My Admission chances ??

by james1990 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 am
Sir,

I am Electrical Engineering student who has just graduated from NIT Surathkal ( tier 2 Indian college). I have worked with an Investment bank for 2 years and now wish to apply for MS in Finance. My GMAT score was 720.

My only dilemma is that I was having mental depression during my first year of UG which resulted in getting 6 arrears( F in my grade sheet). This wasn't a fault of my own rather due to my health condition. I was treated by my dad who happened to be a doctor as well. My school too got to know of it, however they maintain a strict grading policy which resulted in me getting a GPA of 7.02/10,( my math grade is particularly bad C & D). but my class rank is around 16 in a class of 39 students.The topper of my batch had a GPA of 8.76.( only 7 students got distinction)

I willing to counter these effects but I am unaware of the strategies for the same?

What would help me reach top 10 or 15 schools if i were to target for the same.

Really wanted your help on this matter......

GMAT/MBA Expert

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sherry.holland » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:07 pm
James,

I am sorry to read of the challenges you faced while in college. This is a subject that you should seriously consider addressing in your optional essays to explain your GPA. While your GMAT score will help mitigate the lower GPA, because you are coming from such a competitive pool of applicants, you should look into taking a few quantitative courses to demonstrate to the Adcoms what you are capable of doing academically now - especially any you may have failed or earned less than a C in while in college.

In addition to your academic performance, you need to do all that you can to differentiate yourself in a positive way through your work experience, extracurricular activities/volunteer work, future goals, etc.

I hope this information is helpful. I wish you the best of luck,
Sherry
Sherry K. Holland
Admissions Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by james1990 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm
Thank you, Ma'am for your reply.

I am considering doing something as a mitigating strategy to help overcome my GPA issues. However I am not certain whether India has community colleges of the likes as seen in the US. Here the only option is either take up online course or a distance education programme or even enroll for a MS course here itself. What would be your advise?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sherry.holland » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 pm
Hello again, James,

If you cannot find a local community college, taking online courses with UCLA or Berkeley Extension might be a good option. Before taking any MS courses, I recommend you contact the schools to which you are planning to apply to make sure they encourage that you do that and if so, what courses they prefer you take.

Again, good luck!
Sherry
Sherry K. Holland
Admissions Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

by james1990 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:09 am
Thank you a lot for your advise. I will look into that options that suits me best and move forward....