completely new to gmat

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

completely new to gmat

by Bambaruush » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 am
Hello! I am completely new to gmat and decided to take this. Did some preliminary search and found it so difficult to achieve good score. Still desperate for good score like 600+. Can anyone please suggest what is the most organised way or shortcut to achieve this score? I am not being lazy. But it will apparently take too much time to getting to know what is gmat. I am a housewife who doesn't earn herself. But willing to buy the required books if there are some really really helpful. I don't think I can afford the online courses. Thanks beforehand if you read and reply to my dummiest question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:38 am
Hi Bambaruush,

Learning (and practicing) to score at a high level on the GMAT is a process. It's rather similar to learning to play an instrument or a sport - you need the proper materials and you need to learn how everything "work"s and then practice. If you want to perform at a high level, you'll probably need an expert to help you (whether it's a Course or Tutor).

There are some great materials available for free that you can start off with.

1) Download the FREE materials from www.mba.com (they include 2 full-length practice CAT tests and a set of practice problems).
2) The Forums at beatthegmat.com (users post questions daily and get explanations/strategy/advice from experts and other users).

You might also find that you don't need to score 600+ to get into Business School. Do some research into the MBA programs that interest you, the schools that offer those programs and the application requirements for those schools. Having that information will help you to better plan out your approach to this process.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jvaryani » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 am
Hi Bambaruush
Unfortunately, you are in the wrong notion that a "shortcut" will help you achieve a good score without significant investment on your part for time and resources (I am not talking about money here, there is still plenty you can do for free).

If you buy/borrow one book, it has to be the official guide (get 13th edition). It not only gives you all the necessary details about the exam and the scoring, but also real practice questions. And of course download gmatprep software free from mba.com as already suggested for full length practice tests & extra questions. That is really the least amount of preparation you can do for this exam and may be still get your desired score of 600 if you get the foundational skills and timing right. You also have to manage the fatigue that comes with a 4 hr exam, so try to tap other free full length tests on different websites to get comfortable with this.

Good luck to you