My Admission chances ??

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

My Admission chances ??

by james1990 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:36 am
Sir,

I am Electrical Engineering student who has just graduated from NIT Surathkal ( tier 2 Indian college). I have worked with an Investment bank for 2 years and now wish to apply for MS in Finance. My GMAT score was 720.

My only dilemma is that I was having mental depression during my first year of UG which resulted in getting 6 arrears( F in my grade sheet). This wasn't a fault of my own rather due to my health condition. I was treated by my dad who happened to be a doctor as well. My school too got to know of it, however they maintain a strict grading policy which resulted in me getting a GPA of 7.02/10,( my math grade is particularly bad C & D). but my class rank is around 16 in a class of 39 students.The topper of my batch had a GPA of 8.76.( only 7 students got distinction)

I willing to counter these effects but I am unaware of the strategies for the same?

What would help me reach top 10 or 15 schools if i were to target for the same.

Really wanted your help on this matter......

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:43 am
The GMAT should help balance the academic record, but you could also get some advantage by building what's known as an "alternative transcript" where you take courses at night etc. to demonstrate readiness. You could also benefit from a couple of more years work experience. The average number of years at top schools these days is approaching 5 years. Hope this helps.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by james1990 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:31 am
Thanks a lot for the advice.

Yes I am contemplating on taking an alternative transcript. However I was a little confused regarding the work experience. Isn't work experience a requirement for MBA programs? How much more years of work would you ideally recommend in my case. I was of the impression that MS in Finance courses required more of academic skills than professional skills.

Whats your take?

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:45 am
Yes sorry I missed that detail the first time. MS programs will not require the work experience, so you are correct.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options