Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

I would request for a profile evaluation -

Profile -

1. Indian/Male/28
2. GMAT - 700 ( Attempt -1) , 700 (Attempt -2) AWA - 5, IR - 8
3. B. Tech (GGSIPU) - 3.4 , MBE - Delhi University ( 3.4), CFA - Level 3 candidate ( 1& 2 cleared in Attempt -1)
4. Work Experience - 4 years : 2.5 years ( World's largest management consulting company with a promotion), 1.3 years (EU's biggest retailer (Retail consulting) - no promotion)
5. Extra Curricular - Director, Autistic and Dyslexic school; Board Member Alumni Relations at current firm, Gold Medalist - DPS
6. Target Schools - Wharton , Columbia, Duke, NYU Stern, Darden, INSEAD

More Facts -
Applied for schools twice

Attempt 1 (2012) - Schools covered and Results
1. Wharton - Interviewed and Rejected
2. Booth - Interviewed - wait listed - Rejected
3. Columbia - Rejected
4. MIT - Rejected

Attempt 2 (2013)- Schools covered and Results
1. Wharton (Re- applicant) - Rejected
2. Booth - Rejected
3. Tuck - Rejected
4. Kellogg - Rejected

Queries -
1. Re attempt GMAT?
2. I always wanted to work in a Investment Banking/PE, is it still possible with my work experience and age not on my side?
3. Does it make sense for me to restrict myself to working in the management consulting environment given I have a good experience in Top management consulting firm?
4. Is the list of schools good enough given my requirement or do I need to alter it?
5. Having applied to some of Top business already in past and failed, is it fair to assume that my chances of getting through are very bleak?
6. What more could I do to improve my chances?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm
Hello Jul,

Thank you for your post!

It is great that you made it through to interviews in your first round of attempts; this inspires some hope. That said, I would encourage you to consider our mock interview services (https://www.clearadmit.com/interview-preparation/), as the final decisions did not turn out well. In terms of re-applying, it's important to present new information to the adcom. What have you accomplished since your last round of admissions? What impact have you had at work? Have you further refined your career goals? While you may be able to carry over an anecdote or two, you will want to show the adcom that you have improved your candidacy through new achievements.

Per your specific queries, a 700 is a solid GMAT score and re-taking the test too many times could reflect poorly on you. In terms of your career goals, it can be helpful to have a common thread from your past to your future; however, full-time MBA programs understand that many candidates want to switch careers. The key is to demonstrate that you have relevant, transferable skills and a passion for the new industry. If you have reconsidered your goals and want to pursue a path in management consulting, that will be seen as feasible--provided you can outline a detailed, grounded path. As the average age of MBA students is 26-28, you do not need to worry about your age just yet.

In terms of improving your chances, if you decide to re-apply to the schools you list, you will need fresh achievements and evidence of your leadership. Your extracurricular involvement could be a great way to do so, in addition to your professional achievements. We would be happy to help you consider your re-applications and new applications. Please take a look at our free consultation so we can dig deeper into your details and determine your chances: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.