640 in GMAT...Target Score 720+ Help Needed!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I gave GMAT in January 2014 and it turned out to be a disaster. I got a 640 (Q50 V24) along with 8 in IR and AWA score of 5.0

I am thinking of another attemt now but I am totally lost about how to go ahead! I know I need to improve on my verbal and maintain (or slightly improve) my quant, but then how to improve verbal is a big question mark!

Before my first attempt I have already tried studying from Manhattan GMAT Guides and I also took e-GMAT course! e-GMAT's content was really excellent and while going through the lessons I felt that I am able to understand the concepts! Only thing I felt I was unable to grasp was their SC methodology! I assumed everyone can have their own methodology so skipped that! Manhattan also covered many theoritical concepts in detail! Further, in both the cases there were practice tests after each chapter, and I did farely well in each! But during the tests (mock as well as GMAT), where I am supposed to apply all the concepts together...I always scored poorly in Verbal! While practicing all the questions of Verbal section in OG-13, my accuracy was 66.66% on an average.

It will be really great if someone could help me in figure out my way ahead for GMAT!

Tarang

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 am
Was this score consistent with your practice exam scores?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 28, 2014 11:12 am
Hi Tarang,

First off, a 640/Q50 is not a "disaster"; 640 is just shy of the 80th percentile and a Q50 is a Scaled Score that most Test Takers will never earn in their lifetimes. Depending on the schools that you're planning to apply to, your scores could be strong enough to not require a retest. If you are going to retest though, you have already defined your problem.

One of the issues that many Test Takers face on the GMAT is endurance. You might be comfortable with Verbal questions when you're doing homework, but how comfortable are you when you're in the last 75 minutes of a 4+ hours-long Test? Tired Test Takers tend to not take enough notes, miss grammar rules and make silly mistakes.

With a Q50, you're not likely to improve your Quant score, so your missing points are going to be found in the Verbal section. Since you've tried using a couple of different resources already, there's seems to be two options to consider:

1) The resources are fine and you didn't use them enough (or correctly), so you should revisit them.
2) The resources did not help you, so you need to invest in some new resources that will.

When are you thinking of retaking the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by tarangchhabra » Thu May 29, 2014 8:58 am
Jim@StratusPrep wrote:Was this score consistent with your practice exam scores?
Hi Jim,
No the score was not consistant...I only gave two tests which are provided by GMAC..and in first test I scored really bad..580 and in second test I scored a 700

by tarangchhabra » Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Tarang,

First off, a 640/Q50 is not a "disaster"; 640 is just shy of the 80th percentile and a Q50 is a Scaled Score that most Test Takers will never earn in their lifetimes. Depending on the schools that you're planning to apply to, your scores could be strong enough to not require a retest. If you are going to retest though, you have already defined your problem.

One of the issues that many Test Takers face on the GMAT is endurance. You might be comfortable with Verbal questions when you're doing homework, but how comfortable are you when you're in the last 75 minutes of a 4+ hours-long Test? Tired Test Takers tend to not take enough notes, miss grammar rules and make silly mistakes.

With a Q50, you're not likely to improve your Quant score, so your missing points are going to be found in the Verbal section. Since you've tried using a couple of different resources already, there's seems to be two options to consider:

1) The resources are fine and you didn't use them enough (or correctly), so you should revisit them.
2) The resources did not help you, so you need to invest in some new resources that will.

When are you thinking of retaking the GMAT?

Rich
Hi Rich.C
Thanks for your post
I am actually aiming at Top 10 schools and I dont have some awesome story or profile. SO I feel I need to do too well in GMAT to offer some compensation!
Regarding GMAT, I have not yet started my preparations again. I am planning to apply in 2015, so I do have some time in my hand!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu May 29, 2014 9:03 am
Well, it sounds like your score was smack in the middle of your two practice exams. This says to me that you likely have some weaknesses in your verbal that need to be addressed. Hard to say without seeing some work, but generally you want to consistently score in the area of your target score in your practice exams. The violent swings are usually a sign of some significant weaknesses.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by tarangchhabra » Thu May 29, 2014 11:11 am
Jim@StratusPrep wrote:Well, it sounds like your score was smack in the middle of your two practice exams. This says to me that you likely have some weaknesses in your verbal that need to be addressed. Hard to say without seeing some work, but generally you want to consistently score in the area of your target score in your practice exams. The violent swings are usually a sign of some significant weaknesses.
Thanks Jim
I am trying to figure out what that weakness is!
Is there any way I can pin point that weakness!?
Because frankly in the whole verbal section, I am rarely confident of any answer choice! Many times I feel that there are more than one possible answers (I know that might sound ridiculous!!) and I end up making a guess out of the answer choices which were not eliminated!
I will be really glad if you could suggest me some way of pinpointing my weaknesses and improving them!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu May 29, 2014 7:53 pm
Hi Tarang,

Now that you've provided a bit more information about your studies and timeline, I can offer some additional advice:

First, it's good that you've given yourself plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business Schools - the opportunity to just work on the GMAT (and not have to juggle the other parts of the application at the same time) is a smart move.

Second, I agree that the Top-10 schools will probably "want" you to have a higher GMAT score, but if you are not accepted, it probably won't be because of a 640/Q50. That having been said, I do agree that a higher score will likely improve your chances.

You mentioned that you took just 2 practice CATs, which was a mis-step. Learning how to deal with the endurance, fatigue and pacing issues that most Test Takers face is an essential part of proper preparation for the GMAT. 2 practice CATs just isn't enough exposure to properly diagnose and fix any of those problems.

When you took those practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? With any future CATs, you MUST take the entire CAT, so that we can get a realistic sense of your abilities.

I'll restate something that I mentioned earlier. To improve your Verbal ability, you'll need to either:

1) Revisit the resources that you used previously and practice the methods that they teach.
2) Invest in some new resources that will show you how to beat the Verbal section.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]