Asking for SBC's Advice : MBA or not an MBA ?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Sorry for the corny subject line, had to grasp the attention.

Thanks for helping out the candidates over here. Means a lot to many of us over here.
Would you please give me some idea for this ?

First of all, let me share my profile:

Nationality : Indian

GMAT : 730
Engineering Graduate
Percentage : 65%

Work Ex : 3 years
Details : Working in IT Sector, in Cognizant, a Fortune 500 Company. Have got a promotion
during this time. Work involves design, development and optimization of Supply Chains
for retail businesses. Have worked for number of major US retail businesses.

Extra Curric : Was part of Event organization teams during college. Also was a participant in
cultural events of college and work place.

Others : - Had taken an year break after school. Was a Biology student during school. But
seeing better opportunities for Maths made me go that path. During that year,
cleared Maths eligibility as well as entrance exams(akin to SATs) for Universities.

- Took up guitar and singing just out of interest during 1st year of college, learnt
by myself. But it helped me out as I could fund my expenses and could offset the
costs by tutoring others. This was a necessity as my family was facing financial
issues after my father's health deteriorated.

- After I finished graduation, couldn't go for a normal IT job as I had to look after
our medical clinic, a family business, due to my father's continued problems with
his health. Introduced few pathology tests via outsourcing during that time, an
idea which enabled us to increase the reach of our practice, without setting up of
expensive instruments.

- During the same time period, came into touch with few local NGOs who frequented our
setup for subsidized medical aid. Helped those as well as got involved in their
activities as well. Led a team of four in their mission. Thus, was also involved in
voluntary work through them.

Thanks for reading this far.
My question is, with such a background, do I stand a chance for top 25 international universities for MBA? Is my profile competitive enough for let's say INSEAD to ISB? What about universities in Singapore? Or should I drop the idea totally ?

I don't have a big college name attached to me, I won't say my graduation score is too awesome (although according to our university's standards this score is considered fine enough). But I cannot do anything to change that, except a good GMAT, which I have already got. I'd be really thankful if you gave me a brutally honest reply, cause according to that itself can I start investing money(which is a concern to an extent) for the applications. I know essays and interviews mean a lot, but a general overview of my profile would still be helpful.

by confuseddesi » Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 am
TL;DR version:

Indian Male
IT - Supply Chain Management
Work Ex - 3 years
GMAT 730
Grad : 65%

Extra Curric : Event Management, Stage shows

Others : Managed and expanded family's medical lab.
NGO work leading a team of 4.

Query : Profile good enough for Top 25 ? INSEAD - ISB ? Singapore based universities ?
or should I drop MBA altogether ?

by confuseddesi » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am
Hi,

Could you review my profile please ?

Thanks for your valuable time.