INSEAD or Weatherhead?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

INSEAD or Weatherhead?

by viperomni » Sun May 25, 2014 1:39 am
I am an Indian, retired armed forces officer, successful entrepreneur with a couple of hotels of my own. I am 28 years old, with a GMAT of 750, GPA of 3.4. I am on the waitlist of Cornell and Tepper and have been selected for INSEAD Singapore campus and Weatherhead, at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. INSEAD will probably not offer any scholarship but I will receive financing from Prodigy Finance at very minimal rates without any collateral. On the other hand Weatherhead offers me a 75% scholarship, a part time job and rather low living expenses. Consequently, Weatherhead will turn out to be the cheaper investment as I will probably be able to complete my education quite within my means without accruing any debt. On the other hand, INSEAD will mean that I will spend most of the first two years of my career post MBA paying off the loan that I will incur for the education. However, the long term benefits of studying at INSEAD might outweigh the short term advantages of studying at Weatherhead. The name recognition that INSEAD enjoys, the high respect factor, potential assistance from the alumni network and the advantage of being branded with INSEAD during promotions. On the other hand I might top Weatherhead, get a job at a top consulting firm and develop a similar network and let my work speak for itself. In any case my plans for the future are that i would only like to work for a consulting firm for five years, gain experience and start off my own venture. In such case, would the INSEAD name matter as much?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 am
Hi viperomni,

Thanks for your post. Congratulations on your acceptance into both programs. In regards to which program to attend, unfortunately there isn't a "right" answer. I recommend you speak to as many current students and alumni as you can, as well as to the career centers at each program. Particularly if there is a company you would like to work for post-graduation, you should see if that company recruits from that program. Career centers are very open with this information. The more data points you can collect, the better your decision will be in the end.

I hope the above is of help.

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me