590 in Manhattan GMAT, 500 in real! L O S T

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

590 in Manhattan GMAT, 500 in real! L O S T

by mbjawwad » Tue May 20, 2014 3:19 am
I said goodbye to my job three months back and have since been in a serious relationship with GMAT. As part of the preparation, I only completed the Manhattan GMAT Guides (total 9) and the Manhattan Official guide for review, 13th Edition. I also attempted three CAT exams on Manhattan GMAT and below is the score I achieved:

1st - 550 - q36 v30
2nd - 580 - q37 v33
3rd - 590 - q37 v34

And, the real GMAT that I appeared for yesterday:

GMAT - 500 - q29 v30

I have always been pretty lousy at number crunching and a little above average at English, but I never expected a "500" on the screen upon completion of GMAT. With a 600+ figure as a realistic expectation, these three digits have torn me apart (just a little exaggeration, a little). Since the attack, I've been wondering about what went wrong and have been trying to tell myself that it was the lack of sleep, that is it! But, somehow, I'm finding it difficult to believe that. I slept 3 hours the night before the GMAT, and as soon as the exam started, I knew my mind is half here half somewhere far away. The score has actually shaken the future plan that was working out pretty well till now. I intend to reappear next month, and that is solely because I am not allowed to appear earlier because of the 31-day break law. In verbal, the only problem is RC, and that too I'm pretty smooth with mostly. In Quant, I literally tremble.

Any experience out there who could just put forward a month's study plan and help a poor kid out.

Looking forward to the magic recipe.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 am
Hi mbjawwad,

You should repost this in the Strategy Forum (this is the Test Maker Forum).

There could be any number of factors that went into your decrease in score. You've already identified a significant factor (lack of sleep) that could have hurt your performance. Here are some others to consider:

1) Did you do too much work in the days before the GMAT? Maybe you were a bit burned-out.
2) Did you take the ENTIRE practice CAT every time or did you skip the Essay and/or IR sections? If you skipped sections, then those practice scores are not necessarily accurate.
3) Was there anything significant, different or surprising about Test Day that could have thrown off your performance?
4) Did you have a pacing problem and have to guess on a bunch of questions just to finish a section? Did you leave any questions unanswered?

While I understand that you want to retake the GMAT as soon as possible, some serious review of your study plan and process are needed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mbjawwad » Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm
Thanks Rich.

I'll definitely repost it in the Strategy forum. Your feedback is much appreciated and most of the possible factors you've mentioned have played their parts equally. I always skipped the AWA and IR in the pratice CATs and I do face the pacing problem, which I just realised after seeing your reply. Thanks again.