2 weeks to beat the GMAT ?!

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2 weeks to beat the GMAT ?!

by thomas1111 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:13 am
Hi,

I plan to write the GMAT in 2 weeks. Having studied no more than 2 weeks by now(due to shortage of time) I was wondering, if there is a slight chance to get a 650+ result on the exam...I took both GMAT preP exams scoring 450 2 weeks ago and a very unfortunate 440 today :(
IR ( 9 of 12 wrong), Q( 22 out of 37 wrong) V(18 out of 41 wrong)

Any advice you can give me for my mission impossible??

Kind regards,
Thomas

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun May 11, 2014 12:51 pm
Hi thomas1111,

A 650+ score on the GMAT is the 80th percentile (or higher). It means that 80% of Test Takers either can't or won't do what it takes to score at that level. With your most recent practice CAT scores and only 2 weeks of study time remaining, it's not likely that you will score 650+.

The good news is that you can still take the GMAT as planned and then take it again later, as needed. Business Schools don't really care if you take the GMAT more than once. With enough time and effort, you can train to score at a much higher level than you currently are.

We've worked with Test Takers who started off with practice scores lower than yours, put in the time and effort and scored 700+. They needed 3 months though (which is a length of study that I recommend to ALL Test Takers, regardless of ability).

Remember that your journey to your MBA is a multi-step process. I understand the burden of deadlines, but if your GMAT score is not competitive enough to get you a good "look" at the Business Schools you're going to apply to, then the deadline really doesn't matter.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thomas1111 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:14 am
Dear Rich,

Thank you for your honest reply.I guess I will then focus on my second attempt and experience the first try as a real-time exercise.

Thanks,
Thomas