reflects social choices. For Braverman, the shape of
a technological system is subordinate to the
manager's desire to wrest control of the labor
process from the workers. Technological change is
construed as the outcome of negotiations among
interested parties who seek to incorporate their own
interests into the design and configuration of the
machinery. This position represents the new
mainstream called social constructivism.

The constructivists gain acceptance by
misrepresenting technological determinism:
technological determinists are supposed to believe,
for example, that machinery imposes appropriate
forms of order on society. The alternative to
constructivism, in other words, is to view technology
as existing outside society, capable of directly
influencing skills and work organization.

Clark refutes the extremes of the constructivists
by both theoretical and empirical arguments.
Theoretically he defines "technology" in terms of
relationships between social and technical variables.
Attempts to reduce the meaning of technology to
cold, hard metal are bound to fail, for machinery is
just scrap unless it is organized functionally and
supported by appropriate systems of operation and
maintenance. At the empirical level Clark shows how
a change at the telephone exchange from
maintenance-intensive electromechanical switches
to semielectronic switching systems altered work
tasks, skills, training opportunities, administration,
and organization of workers. Some changes Clark
attributes to the particular way management and
labor unions negotiated the introduction of the
technology, whereas others are seen as arising from
the capabilities and nature of the technology itself.
Thus Clark helps answer the question: "When is
social choice decisive and when are the concrete
characteristics of technology more important?"

The information in the passage suggests that which of the following statements from hypothetical sociological studies of change in industry most clearly exemplifi es the social constructivists' version of technological determinism?
(A) It is the available technology that determines workers' skills, rather than workers' skills influencing the application of technology.
(B) All progress in industrial technology grows out of a continuing negotiation between technological possibility and human need.
(C) Some organizational change is caused by people; some is caused by computer chips.
(D) Most major technological advances in industry have been generated through research and development.
(E) Some industrial technology eliminates jobs, but educated workers can create whole new skills areas by the adaptation of the technology.

Could someone help to identify the the correct answer. I could not understand it :( .

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:18 members

by Ilana@EconomistGMAT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:56 am
The correct answer choice is A.

This question requires you to understand how one of the apparently dichotomous positions (technological determinism versus social constructionism) perceives the other. This is indicated in the word "version". To paraphrase the question in simpler words - you are being asked "what do social constructivists think that technological determinists think?".

In other words, you are not being asked about Clark's view - this scholar tries to break down the dichotomous view, but rather about the way in which one school of thought (soc. constructivism.) stereotypes the other.

The answer is derived from the third paragraph, which describes the way in which constructivists "misreperesent technological determinism:
"technological determinists are supposed to believe, for example, that machinery imposes appropriate
forms of order on society.
The alternative to constructivism, in other words, is to view technology
as existing outside society, capable of directly influencing skills and work organization."

Now your job is to find the answer choice that exemplifies this view. A is the most appropriate choice because it reflects the idea highlighted in bold above "machinery (=technology) imposes (=determines)...forms of order on society (e.g. workers' skills).

The remaining answer choices do not reflect this misrepresentation of technological determininsm.
Answer choice B recognized complexity - a reciprocal influence betwee technology and humans, not a unilateral influence of technology on humans. C has a similarly complex or differentiated view of the isse. D relates to the impact of the human domain on technology, not the reverse. E also relates to the complexity of relations between society and technology. This process of elimination confirms that A is the only answer choice that represents the impact of technology on humans in a unilateral - rigid way - ie. a stereotypical misrepresentation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:55 am
I screwed up big time on this RC... took 22 mins and got 6 of the 8 qsns wrong...

Panic and despair mounting... can anyone help plz? :'(

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by meeramurthy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm
I had difficulty with this passage as well. The words "social constructivism" and "technological determinists" just totally threw me off. While reading the passage each time I saw those words I would just stop processing the sentence and I had to keep rereading. The questions were also getting me frustrated.

I got only 3 questions right from that passage. I am not sure how to STUDY/prepare for a passage like this. I remember seeing similar passages on my GMAT in my first attempt (610 48Q 27V).

Can anyone recommend similar passages for practice. and what are some techniques to attack such a passage.

by parul9 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 am
Ilana@MasterGMAT wrote:The correct answer choice is A.

This question requires you to understand how one of the apparently dichotomous positions (technological determinism versus social constructionism) perceives the other. This is indicated in the word "version". To paraphrase the question in simpler words - you are being asked "what do social constructivists think that technological determinists think?".

In other words, you are not being asked about Clark's view - this scholar tries to break down the dichotomous view, but rather about the way in which one school of thought (soc. constructivism.) stereotypes the other.

The answer is derived from the third paragraph, which describes the way in which constructivists "misreperesent technological determinism:
"technological determinists are supposed to believe, for example, that machinery imposes appropriate
as existing outside society, capable of directly influencing skills and work organization."

Now your job is to find the answer choice that exemplifies this view. A is the most appropriate choice because it reflects the idea highlighted in bold above "machinery (=technology) imposes (=determines)...forms of order on society (e.g. workers' skills).

The remaining answer choices do not reflect this misrepresentation of technological determininsm.
Answer choice B recognized complexity - a reciprocal influence betwee technology and humans, not a unilateral influence of technology on humans. C has a similarly complex or differentiated view of the isse. D relates to the impact of the human domain on technology, not the reverse. E also relates to the complexity of relations between society and technology. This process of elimination confirms that A is the only answer choice that represents the impact of technology on humans in a unilateral - rigid way - ie. a stereotypical misrepresentation.
Hi Ilana,

can you please elaborate as to how such long and complex passages should be dealt with?
Also, how much time is ideal to be spent on such RCs?

Regards,
Parul

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:39 am
Hi Parul,

have you been through Manhattan RC strategy guide. i think its excellent and focuses all thedoubts you have. As far as this question is concerned, I also felt difficulty on this question. Defnitely this is 700+ level. However, if you read it slowly and use SC and TD for those tough words, you would be easy to process it. Ideal time to deal with this kind of passage should be: 4-5 minutes for reading and then 1.2 minutes for answering each question.

I have not done anything good on RC either. I could correct only 80 questions out of 139 given in OG 12 which is 58%. I have heard if you reach 70% accuracy, you have got it.

let me know if I can help in some way. I have read manhattan book and I can summarize all the stretegies. Also, am joining a coaching on 26th onwards which will finish on 21st next month.

by parul9 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 am
Thanks Gunjan,

I haven't been through the RC strategy guide. Only OG.
I will dig through Manhattan book as well... but if you could summarise the strategies here, it would be definitely very helpful!
Where are you joining the coaching?
It is a very short duration session, must be time intensive!

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:13 pm
Ilana@MasterGMAT wrote:The correct answer choice is A.

Hi,

The constructivists gain acceptance by misrepresenting technological determinism: technological determinists are supposed to believe, for example, that machinery imposes appropriate forms of order on society. The alternative to constructivism, in other words, is to view technology as existing outside society, capable of directly influencing skills and work organization.

'things mentioned after COLON gives additional information about TD but the author used the term 'are supposed to' - that I thought suggest that author believes TD is "machinery (technology)imposes appropriate forms of order on society" . Since author used 'are supposed to' in the same sentence, I thought constructivists would believe opposite of 'machinery (technology)imposes appropriate forms of order on society'. I know my interpretation is wrong, but it will be great is you can explain the structure (sentence construction) in details

Thanks

Followed by:3 members

by GmatVerbal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 pm
Its written in passive voice:
read as:
echnological determinists are supposed( by Social constructivists ) to believe..

or
echnological determinists are supposed( incorrectly by Social constructivists ) to believe..

Consider the sentence:
Workers are supposed to finish the by end of today.
It means speaker is supposing that workers finish by end of the day.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by xiaolanjinghe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:59 pm
Ilana@EconomistGMAT wrote:The correct answer choice is A.

Thanks for the explanation. But could you explain that how constructivists mispresents the determinism in detail?

In my opinion, determinism say that "the characteristics of a technology have a decisive influenceon job skills and workorganization. Put more ."(line 8-10)

while

constructivists thinik determinism think that:"capable of directly influencing skill sand work organization."(line 31-32)

They are the same.