McCombs Waitlist Advice

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

McCombs Waitlist Advice

by mtchao08 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm
Hi experts,

Advice on the following would be very much appreciated.

Got waitlisted at McCombs. They said not to send any updates until they (if) ask of you.

I'm considering going down there to visit a class and try introduce myself to an adcom. I called and asked if I could talk to an adcom while i'm down there, but they said the adcom is too busy for that. So i wonder if i should risk it.

Here's my profile as well:
GMAT: 690 (q49 v35)
GPA: 3.0 (didn't take school very seriously GPA on a decline trend)
Undergrad: Emory BBA class of 2008

Work Exp:
- 3 yrs as a consultant to senior consultant at middle market in the financial/transaction advisory services
- 2 yr at a Dallas based real estate development firm as senior transaction/investment associate (current job)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm
Hey there,

That's a great question. I'm sorry you didn't get the call you were hoping for but you're still in the running and that's something! You're thinking along the right track but you want to strike a balance between what you can do and what the adcom is looking for. Above all else, you should respect the process and not do things they explicitly ask you not to do. Rule #1: Follow directions.

That said, a school visit is still a great idea! Perhaps don't go knocking on the locked door to admissions while you're there but you'll definitely show up in their trackers and that can be a good start. It shows you're serious. It's also a great way for you to get to know the program a little better and meet students. Make sure you take advantage of chatting with 1st and 2nd year students. A class visit, while good, isn't where the true value of a school visit lives!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!