Does every B School give more weightage to Academics..

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi
I am a 2012 Graduate and i worked for 3 months in an MNC. Later i started my own business and m doing well in that..
I wanted to apply for good B School. But my CGPA is 6.6 out of 10.. Does it effect much..
If it is so which universities can i apply for?
I am willing to apply for 2015 fall.My GMAT score is 710..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:37 am
All business schools do look at your undergrad degree but if you can nicely compensate it with a high gmat, then you might just be ok. Your gmat score is quite high which is great - congrats! But for top US tier schools, your quant and verbal percentiles should be 80-85 percentile and above.

it's difficult to say which schools you should apply to - it depends on many factors. Are you interested in US schools? European? what do you want to do post your MBA? (certain schools specialize in certain areas so you have to think about the best fit for you) Does location matter? Do you fit top 10 or top 20 b-school criteria? There are lots of factors to be discussed.

But it seems your general question was about your lowish undergrad score. As long as you've got that strong gmat and can show how you shine in a academic capacity through work (i.e. maybe you use a lot of analytical or quant skills in your every day job that you can speak to) then this should outweigh your low undergrad score.

Hope that helps.
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:16 pm
Hey there,

A lot goes into understanding your GPA and its impact. As Melissa mentioned, a GMAT is an important component in assessing your academic abilities but you can't take a GPA at face value. For example, it depends on where you went to school, what you studied, and the relative ranking among your peer set. For example, a 6.6 from an IIT > a 6.6 from most other programs in India. Also, certain degrees are more difficult than others so that factors in. Lastly, if a 6.6 puts you in the top 10%, then that's still pretty decent.

So is a 6.6 a great GPA? No. But there's a wide band it could fall in. However, context isn't taken into account when you're talking about rankings and GPAs factor into almost every major ranking source out there. Adcoms will care.

So the short answer to your question is...*drumroll*...I can't tell...yet. I'd need a bit more information from you. Like what your company is all about or if you're involved in the community. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle and knowing how all of them fit together is important in telling you how important one particular aspect may or may not be.

If you want to chat about your profile, what you're looking to do with an MBA, and where you could consider applying, feel free to sign up for a free consultation [here] or share the info here. We're all here to help.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!