Patience, trust, and balance -- How I scored a balanced 730!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Wow! It still feels weird to think that I scored a 730. Third time was the charm!

Now, how did I get there? I think my experience can help some of you who suffer from test anxiety and stubborness. The weight can feel crushing, but it doesn't have to feel that way.

You see, I've always done well on standardized tests. In elementary school they were an annual reminder that I was a smart kid. At the end of high school I breezed my way to a 30 on the ACT, more than enough to get me into my school of choice. Why should the GMAT be any different? More specifically, if my experience changed, was it because the GMAT was different or was I different? Was I not one of the smart people anymore? Mind you, I know the mind is malleable and a standardized test is not the best method for gauging intelligence. But, I didn't want to hear that! I wanted assurance that I was one of the smart people! At the very least, I didn't want evidence that I wasn't! Compound that pressure with the usual crushing pressure of the GMAT! I'd read enough Sandy Kreisberg ding reports to know the importance of the GMAT! If only I knew...

My GMAT story stretches 15 months.

The failing strategy
I spent about 12 months putting forth half-efforts at studying, expecting my magic intelligence to kick in at any minute. During these months, I tricked myself. I spent 2 hours studying per day at least 5 times per week. Further, I took a CAT almost every week. I knew what my strengths and weaknesses were. The Kaplan resources analyzed my tests for me. But, I studied what I wanted. What my prep plan lacked in focus, it made up with volume. I thought I could beat the GMAT with brute force. After a string of 700+ cats, my mentor suggested that I schedule a test for 2 weeks away. This way, even if I don't score high enough, I can just take it again and still stick to my original timeline. But, I continued to be stubborn. I'll stick to my "plan". I can get a 750. And don't ask me where the goal of 750 came from, because I couldn't tell you. That's what truly smart people get? This is what was really happening: if I give a half-effort to my studyies, then I have a scapegoat. I was more scared of failure than I was hungry for success. And what happened? I took 2 official GMAT's during this stretch of time and scored a 620 and a 660. Despite several 700+ CAT's, I bombed it. The problem was anxiety and poor prep. But, I knew that. In fact, I subconsciously made sure I had those excuses lined up.

The winning strategy!
Enough is enough. My plan doesn't work. I started listening to everyone around me. I focused exclusively on weaknesses, and only studied 1.5-2 hours per day for 4-5 days per week. I planned for 6 days of studying per week, but if I wanted an extra day off to spend with my wife and child, I took it. I took a CAT every week and thoroughly reviewed it. This ensured that I kept my strengths sharp. Most importantly, I stopped trolling school websites in my free time and I stopped obsessing over my GMAT score. I stopped talking about the GMAT. It was just an exam. I stopped using my CAT scores as a metric for my own abilities. Instead, I used CAT's as study tools. I listened to those around me, to myself, and enjoyed my life. The best part is that the test became fun. It became a challenge instead of a bane. And I like challenges! I prepped for just 4 weeks. After all, the GMAT is not a content test. It's a test of mental agility. Too much content and too much laser focus create a cluttered, encumbered brain. That's just the opposite of what the test demands. On test day, I saw at least 5-7 questions that I'd never seen before. But, I nailed them because my brain was light.

Breathe people. Trust your abilities. You can do this: you're smart, but only if you trust. Your greatest strength is you. And don't forget, schools show a middle 80% for a reason!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 am
Awesome score and great debrief!!

My favorite pieces of advice:
sboyce wrote: I took a CAT every week and thoroughly reviewed it. This ensured that I kept my strengths sharp.
Perfect strategy!!
sboyce wrote: Breathe people. Trust your abilities. You can do this: you're smart, but only if you trust. Your greatest strength is you. And don't forget, schools show a middle 80% for a reason!
Confidence is key! I believe everyone should adopt the proper mindset/attitude for test day. To this end, others may be interested in reading the following BTG articles:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/06/ ... -destroyer
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/04/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by naqsa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 pm
I'm so glad I came across your post. Yesterday, I scored 620 on the official test after scoring 700+ in several preactice runs. I went in with a positive attitude and faith that the insane number of hours I've put in will pay off. I also worked with a top noth turor. But like you said, when your brain in crammed with too much information and when you've done nothing else but eat, sleep, and dream about the GMAT, it can hurt you, in fact, it most likely will hurt you. My advice to others- keep a balanced approach. It's OK to go to a birthday party or watch a movie while studying for the GMAT.
Thanks again to the OP for much needed motivation.

by sboyce » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 pm
naqsa wrote:I'm so glad I came across your post. Yesterday, I scored 620 on the official test after scoring 700+ in several preactice runs. I went in with a positive attitude and faith that the insane number of hours I've put in will pay off. I also worked with a top noth turor. But like you said, when your brain in crammed with too much information and when you've done nothing else but eat, sleep, and dream about the GMAT, it can hurt you, in fact, it most likely will hurt you. My advice to others- keep a balanced approach. It's OK to go to a birthday party or watch a movie while studying for the GMAT.
Thanks again to the OP for much needed motivation.
Keep the faith! You can do it! I bombed the test a month ago. I hope you don't give up!

by amjain.aj » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 pm
First of all, thanks for this much needed post. I made two unsuccessful attempts in 2013 (550,580) despite of 700+ scores in practice tests. For the longest time, I have been trying to gather confidence to start the prep again and your post is perfect boost. I completely agree that keeping a semi-normal life is much needed along with strong prep.