Profile Evaluation Requested !

Launched August 9, 2011
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Profile Evaluation Requested !

by gmatsid » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:21 am
1. GMAT 700 Q49/V36/AWA-6.0/IR-7. Please go through this.

2. B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from Manipal University (Top 10) - 7.6/10 CGPA (Not sure how this scales on a 4-point) 90% in 10th and 78% in 12 (Both CBSE)

3. Top 10% in academics and top 1% co-curricular-wise (Graduating class of 1700 students)

4. Work Experience - Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. (July '13 - Current)

Working at THCM(60:40 Joint venture of the Hitachi and TATA Groups) since July 2013 after being selected as one of 14 Graduate Engineer Trainees from a nationwide pool of approx 6000 applicants. Currently handling the portfolio of Sales and Marketing - Strategic Markets and Key Accounts - North Karnataka (approx. 100,000 sq. km. and 30 mil population) I have joined this office after completing my in-plant training (July-October '13) and have been responsible for improving the market share in my segment from 41 to 85% over the last 5 months, whilst contributing to an overall market share growth of 11 %. Direct revenue generated - approx. $5 mil. I also lead a team of dealer sales executives (11 individuals) in my territory and conceptualize & implement promotional activities, and carry out opportunity & prospect evaluation, competition comparison studies, product evaluation and field trials in addition to my core tasks.

5. Selected for and attending Stanford GSB's SIGM program - June '14.

6. Internship 1 - Motorsport Engineer with Volkswagen Motorsport (6 months)

For my final semester I was taken onboard by Volkswagen Motorsport team working on the POLO R Cup, a single manufacturer racing series that takes place in locations across the country. I worked in the design and prototyping teams for the 2013 build. Once the build had been approved, I was part of the 3-man team responsible for the thorough testing and certification of the new build by the Federation of Motorsport Clubs of India. Various other sub-projects including creating technical documentations for the gearbox of the proto-build. Offered and declined a permanent position at the end of my tenure.

6. Internship 2 - Systems Analyst (Intern) - Jaguar Land Rover & Tata Motors (3 months)

Carried out Kaizen and TBM productivity assignments on the Jaguar XXXXXXX at Tata Motors's Pune Unit alongside minor assignments on:
1) Cycle-Time and cost reduction in a XXXXXX weld-assembly line.
2) Fixture Optimization and Operator Ergonomics Analysis on the XXXXXXXXXXXX Assembly Line

7. Internship 3 - Production Intern - Tata Motors (Passenger Car Business Unit) (3 months)

Summer Intern at Tata Motors PCBU, Pune. Work included intensive study on the press shop floor and the main assembly line studying the impact of proposed higher degrees of automation on the production line, in addition to a report on Spares Inventory Optimization in the Press shop.

8. Internship 4 - Industrial Intern - Indo-Danish Tool Room (2 months)

Certifications and training in various Product Lifecycle Management tools, design and analysis applications.

9. Co-Curricular 1 - Team Captain - Team Manipal Racing (3 years)

Initially joining as a structural engineer in my junior year at college, I rose to be the team principal of Manipal Unviersity's official Off-Road Racing team. Funded entirely by sponsorships ( 21 sponsors - Tata Group, Sahara Force India F1 team, Reliance Industries, Vodafone notably) the budget of the project was approx. $ 200,000.

I led the team of 31 students to successfully participate in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) BAJA USA 2012 competition at Madison, Wisconsin. TMR became the best performing Asian team in the event's history. I was the primary driver for the competition. A year later, the same vehicle was entered in SAE BAJA India at Indore where the team won an award for best safety features and build quality apart from finishing in the top 5 in every other category.

10. Co-Curricular - 2 - Mechanical Head - IEEE (2 years)

A senior committee member of IEEE and ex-head of IEEE Manipal's Mechanical Division, successfully conceptualized and carried out a number of research projects, workshops, projects and competitions for the Technical Resource Team (8 members) which was then raised to a seat on the IEEE steering committee.

11. Volunteer work:

1) Classroom instructor for the underprivileged as part of Tata Hitachi's Corporate Social Resposibilty initiative.
2) USAID Volunteer for vaccination programs in rural India.
(I have a few other citations as well)

12. Extracurriculars

State and Zonal General Quizzing champion at high school. State U-16 Badminton team, U-15 district cricket and School Table-Tennis and badminton teams.

13. Citations,Recommendations and Letters of Introduction:

1) CEO and Managing Director Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery Co.
2) Head of Volkswagen Motorsport India, Volkswagen GmbH
3) Area Manager, North Karnataka, Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery Co.
4) National Head, Excavators, Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery Co.(ex-ISB)
3) Director, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal University
4) Project Coordinator and Technical Head, Volkswagen Motorsport
5) Head of Department, Mechanical Engineering, Manipal University
6) Head of Department, Automobile and Aeronautical Engineering, Manipal University

Dream Schools:

1) Stanford GSB
2) Harvard
3) Wharton
3) MIT, Sloan
4) Chicago - Booth
5) NYU - Stern
6) Columbia
7) Dartmouth

Would really appreciate if someone can provide an evaluation of my candidacy for applications to the classes of 2017.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to read through that !! :)[/url]

If you find my Post helpful, then don't forget to click Thank/follow!! Much appreciated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 am
Hello there good sir,
Thanks for dropping by.

So you have got some good stuff here. You are from a good industry, with REAL leadership experience, and solid volunteer work.

Although I don't see any MAJOR weaknesses, I think that with your profile and numbers sticking to ONLY Top 10 schools would be a bit over-ambitious, and I would suggest opening up this list to include top 25 schools.

Although almost everything looks good, you may be underestimating the toughness of Top 10 schools especially for Indian candidates. (Sorry if this is a bit direct, but I feel better from the horse's mouth now, than as a surprise later). As an Indian/Male, not from IIT, with good but not great grades and not from a target preferred firm (like Google, Apple, McKinsey, etc.), all of these minor weaknesses add up bit by bit. Also, your GPA is about 20 points lower that the average at these schools (also keep in mind that your main competitors - other Indian candidates, often get accepted with scores HIGHER than the average, cause Indians tend to test to well). Add all those things together, and it makes it a weeeeeee bit tougher for ya.

that's why I'd recommend thinking about expanding your list a bit. Keep one or two from the top 10, add two or three from the second 10, and then maybe one more that fits your goals as a safe school.

Hope this helps!

JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.