The reason why producing reams of spider silk

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The reason why producing reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not a possibility not so much that nature has too few spiders producing the silk or that spiders produce silk too slowly as that putting too many spiders in close proximity makes them territorial and inclined to kill one another.

A.why producing reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not a possibility not so much that nature has too few spiders producing the silk or that spiders produce

B.why it is not possible to produce reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not so much that nature has too few spiders that produce the silk or that spiders produce

C.for low possibility to produce reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk is as much as nature having too few spiders producing the silk or that spiders producing

D.why production of reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not possible is because nature has too few spiders that produce the silk or spiders produce

E.why producing reams of spider silk is not a possibility - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not so much that nature has too few spiders that produce the silk or that spiders produce

OAB
Last edited by gmat_guy666 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:36 pm
B seems best :why it is not possible to produce reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not so much that nature has too few spiders that produce the silk or that spiders produce
reason
1)parallelism seems oki across "not so much X as Y"

kindly share the source and answer

Followed by:1 members

by neptune28 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:48 pm
aditya8062 wrote:B seems best :why it is not possible to produce reams of spider silk - a material stronger than steel but lighter than silk - is not so much that nature has too few spiders that produce the silk or that spiders produce
reason
1)parallelism seems oki across "not so much X as Y"

kindly share the source and answer
I agree that B) is best (actually, in this case it's "not so much X or Y as Z"), but I'm surprised that the GMAT doesn't have a problem with the redundant "reason why." "Reason that" is clearly preferable. Anyway, B) is the least objectionable of the clutter they've given us. ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:02 pm
I agree that B) is best (actually, in this case it's "not so much X or Y as Z"), but I'm surprised that the GMAT doesn't have a problem with the redundant "reason why." "Reason that" is clearly preferable. Anyway, B) is the least objectionable.
i feel that redundancy is very comparable .i can rule out the answer choices straight away when it has severe faults of parallelism but to say that choice X is redundant i need to have a choice that is less redundant !!
anyway its good to discuss thing

Followed by:1 members

by neptune28 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 pm
aditya8062 wrote: i feel that redundancy is very comparable .
I guess you're saying that 4 out of the 5 choices use "reason why"?
i can rule out the answer choices straight away when it has severe faults of parallelism but to say that choice X is redundant i need to have a choice that is less redundant !!
Well, we do have C), but it has even worse problems. ;)
anyway its good to discuss thing
Definitely. Just because one choice may be the least objectionable, that doesn't necessarily mean it displays good writing. :)