Change of H1B to F1 Visa for Full time MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello All,

First of all, thanks to the creator of this website for bringing together all the relevant topics related to MBA, before and after as well as bringing so many ambitious people together for their valuable inputs to this site. I am in a sort of dilemma here and want to request some genuine advice from people who are probably pursuing their MBA currently or have pursued and are working.

I am a Mechanical Engineer working in the US and have a valid H1B visa. I have started preparing for GMAT as I want to pursue MBA in the near future. But there is a constant buzz in my mind if I should go for a part time MBA or a full time. My confusion is between two situations which I will elaborate in short

Situation1: Full time MBA. What I need to do for that is, change my visa status from H1B to F1 (full time student visa), give up job security which I currently have and take the risk of going for a job hunt again post MBA. The pro in this is that I think I will be able to change my field. Currently I am in Engine component Design and who knows after MBA, I will probably be in a consulting management firm and hence get a significant salary raise assuming I am able to secure a job.

Situation2: Part time MBA. I keep my visa status. I take up Part time MBA and continue in the same field. Maybe get a slight salary raise. This is certainly a safer option. But the cons are that I have listed above.

I would like some advice from people who have gone through this situation or even if you know anyone who has gone through this situation. I highly appreciate your advices and looking forward to some.

Regards
Nikhil