Concentration in Green Energy Management

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Good afternoon. I am interested in getting an MBA with a concentration in Green Energy Management, however i do not have a technical degree. Would schools flinch at such an endeavor? Would completing a professional certificate program help? Thank you for your time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 am
Hi there,

That's a great field - definitely a lot of exciting developments. It comes down to what you want to DO in green energy management. It's doubtful that you would be in a particularly technical role coming out of an MBA program. Green energy is an INDUSTRY focus. Not a FUNCTIONAL focus. By that I mean all of the standard functions are open to you. So you could be doing marketing or finance or ops or something technical. The FUNCTION you choose is separate of the INDUSTRY. It seems to me (and correct me if I'm off base) you're more interested in the field than you are in doing something specifically technical for them.

So, if that's the case, not having a technical degree really isn't a big deal. I mean, if you wanted to do Finance/Marketing/Ops/Strategy/etc. for a green energy company, why would you need a technical degree?

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:56 am
In which country or region are you interested in pursuing the degree?
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by Edmundantes17 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:30 pm
The eastern US.

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm
I did not know whether you were looking outside the U.S. or within the U.S.

You might wish to pursue a dual MS/MBA degree (or concentration). Some U.S. programs closely integrate the two degrees.

East Coast

Duke offers a combined Master of Environmental Management/Master of Business Administration (MEM/MBA) that might interest you. Here is more information - https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/edge/education/mem-mba. You could combine that with a concentration in Energy & Environment or Operations Management.

Yale offers an MEM/MBA (https://environment.yale.edu/academics/d ... joint/mba/) that is completed in three years.

UNC Kenan-Flagler has a Sustainable Enterprise concentration and NYU Stern offers a Specialization in Social Innovation and Impact.

Midwest

Michigan offers an MS/MBA through the Erb Institute at https://erb.umich.edu/education-programs/mbams/ that is also three years.

West Coast

Stanford offers a joint MS/MBA through its School of Earth Sciences and GSB. Here is an article - https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/bmag/s ... egree.html.

Haas has an awesome Clean Tech program at https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/academics/energy.html.

I hope this helps. Since your goals are focused, I would recommend you give the schools a call to discover if these specific programs fit your educational needs and career goals.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by Edmundantes17 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:31 pm
Thank you sir for the outstanding information. I will certainly look into those programs, Duke was high on my list to begin with. Again thank you for your time!

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 pm
I am glad the information helped you. If you would like a free assessment to gauge your competitiveness and fit feel free to email me at [email protected].

Good Luck!!!!
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

by MBA.Master » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 am
That's really cool. Good luck