Advice for someone who does not get along with math!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello!!

I have been lurking through the forums for awhile now and this is my first post!

I recently graduated from with a B.A. In Media. Given my major, I have not taken a math course since high school (which was 5 years ago). The only course I took in my undergrad is Macro econ, which I decided to S/NC and was given NC. Math is one of my weakest subjects.

Currently, I am working in the entertainment industry in a well known company. I am in high hopes of pursuing my MBA and in hopes of being admitted to UCLA Anderson with a Marketing/Entertainment focus.

I have not taken the GMAT yet as I am still prepping for the big day. I am currently reviewing my math by using MGMAT Foundations of Math. I will be taking a course from Manhattan from June - August and will be taking the GMAT at the end of August.

My main question is, should I take some math courses in a CC to improve my chances of being admitted? If so, what course should I take? I am planning to apply for Fall 2016 and I want to start prepping early.

If there are any other tips for me, please offer!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MBAApply » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
entertainmentjunkie wrote:Hello!!

I have been lurking through the forums for awhile now and this is my first post!

I recently graduated from with a B.A. In Media. Given my major, I have not taken a math course since high school (which was 5 years ago). The only course I took in my undergrad is Macro econ, which I decided to S/NC and was given NC. Math is one of my weakest subjects.

Currently, I am working in the entertainment industry in a well known company. I am in high hopes of pursuing my MBA and in hopes of being admitted to UCLA Anderson with a Marketing/Entertainment focus.

I have not taken the GMAT yet as I am still prepping for the big day. I am currently reviewing my math by using MGMAT Foundations of Math. I will be taking a course from Manhattan from June - August and will be taking the GMAT at the end of August.

My main question is, should I take some math courses in a CC to improve my chances of being admitted? If so, what course should I take? I am planning to apply for Fall 2016 and I want to start prepping early.

In short, yes you should take 2-3 quant classes to show that you can run numbers to keep up with the more quantitative aspects of an MBA program. UCLA online extension is an option, so you don't have to actually deal with westside traffic or the 405 to get to and from class.

Classes to take: calculus, statistics, algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics, accounting, finance. Freshman level (100-level or intro level) classes are fine. Choose the classes that are the least boring to you (if that is possible) - it doesn't really matter which combo.

Also, taking these quant classes isn't just about admission, but getting more comfortable with quant/analytical work will only help you in b-school.

Good luck

by entertainmentjunkie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am
MBAApply wrote:
entertainmentjunkie wrote:Hello!!

In short, yes you should take 2-3 quant classes to show that you can run numbers to keep up with the more quantitative aspects of an MBA program. UCLA online extension is an option, so you don't have to actually deal with westside traffic or the 405 to get to and from class.

Classes to take: calculus, statistics, algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics, accounting, finance. Freshman level (100-level or intro level) classes are fine. Choose the classes that are the least boring to you (if that is possible) - it doesn't really matter which combo.

Also, taking these quant classes isn't just about admission, but getting more comfortable with quant/analytical work will only help you in b-school.

Good luck

Thank you!! Would it make a difference if I took online courses through a CC instead? I checked the courses and it is more cost efficient to take courses at a CC.

If you have any other advice, that would be great! thank you

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MBAApply » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm
entertainmentjunkie wrote:

Thank you!! Would it make a difference if I took online courses through a CC instead? I checked the courses and it is more cost efficient to take courses at a CC.

If you have any other advice, that would be great! thank you
Community college online courses are fine. Good luck

by MBA.Master » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:49 am
Get Manhattan GMAT Math Guides