The frog are a small green amphibian characterize

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The frog are a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail.

(A) are a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail"¨
(B) is a small green amphibian that is characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail
"¨(C) is a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the existence of a tail
"¨(D) is a little green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail
"¨(E) are a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tails

my doubt: what makes B a bad answer ? is it because of usage of "small" as an adjective? i suppose we can always call an animal as "small" if it small in size!
or is B a bad answer because of usage of "that" clause .honestly when i read option B i didn't find "that" clause as redundant

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by KevinRocci » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:06 am
aditya8062 wrote:The frog are a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail.

(B) is a small green amphibian that is characterized by long hind legs, a short body, webbed digits, protruding eyes, and the absence of a tail

my doubt: what makes B a bad answer ? is it because of usage of "small" as an adjective? i suppose we can always call an animal as "small" if it small in size!
or is B a bad answer because of usage of "that" clause .honestly when i read option B i didn't find "that" clause as redundant
Happy to help! So the problem with (B) is not the use of "small." Using "that" here is unnecessary. It adds extra verbiage which is unnecessary for conveying an idea. Remember that the GMAT SC questions are testing your knowledge of grammar and style. Part of style is being concise. So (B) is not as concise as (D), which I assume is the correct answer. So always be looking for the most concise construction in the answer choices as well as the grammatically correct ones.

Hope that helps! :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:15 pm
Hi aditya8062,

Kevin is correct that the GMAT will test your understand of proper English grammar and style. One style rule worth knowing is: Don't be redundant.

For example, the phrase "a new initiative" is redundant because the word "initiative" means "new." That phrase is the equivalent of saying "a new new idea", which is bad style.

In answer B, the words "that is..." are redundant to the words "is a...green amphibian."

As far as the rest of the question is concerned, what is the source of this SC? Some of the answers are written in an odd way that doesn't quite match the Official GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:45 am
I received a PM requesting that I comment.

In the correct answer choice, EVERY WORD will serve a CLEAR PURPOSE.
If an answer choice includes a word that can be omitted without any loss of clarity or meaning, eliminate the answer choice.
B: The frog is a small green amphibian that is characterized by long hind legs.
Here, that is can be removed with no loss of clarity or meaning:
The frog is a small green amphibian characterized by long hind legs.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3