Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Requested

by singh.p.vivek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 am
My detailed profile is as follows :

Name : Vivek Pratap Singh
Nationality : Indian
GMAT : 700 ( Planning to retake in coming months)
Application Cycle : Planning to apply for 2015 admissions.

Undergrad :->2010 -> Bachelors in Technology ( Computer Science) from a regional engineering college ( Falls under top 15 in India) with 71 % marks. University don't grant GPA, but highest score in my university was 80%.

-> Chairman for IEEE and CSI in successive years .
-> Headed Student placement committee.

Work Experience

2010-2012 :

Worked with Accenture as software engineer.
2 promotions in 2 years, awarded best rating one can achieve in Accenture.
Lead the CSR initiative.
Corporate team player for table tennis & badminton.
Worked over domestic and international clients - Sales, Planning & Implementation.

2012- till date

Working with Ernst & Young as Consultant.
Current role as Project Manager for largest FMCG firm.
Leading a team of 15+ people.
Current roles involves Sales, Design & Implementation.
Member of corporate team for table tennis & Badminton.
Member of CSR initiative.
In line for 4th promotion in 4th year.

Additionally my family runs an NGO & currently employs 100+ people, take sabbaticals and contribute as much as I can.

Post MBA Goals -> Short Team : Strategy consulting firm in Social enterprises domain.
Long Term -> Join my family NGO & take it global.

Inclination Towards Colleges -> Harvard, Hass, Yale, Kellogg & Booth .(Stretch)
Tuck, Duke & Darden

Please evaluate my profile and suggest scope of improvements, ideal colleges & how should I go about applying for programs starting in 2015.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 am
Hi Vivek,

Hmm, somehow I know I replied to you already, whether it was here or on another board, but seems to have disappeared somehow.

Anyhow, it sounds like you have a solid profile generally. You do start off coming from a large applicant pool, Indian IT/engineering applicants, which can make things a bit more challenging in that you have to really stand out from that group. So focus on the things that make YOU unique especially among that pool of applicants. You've got great experience with some great companies to focus on, and what probably stands out the most is your leadership and management experience, often lacking among that applicant pool, and from what I understand now you've moved into consulting and project management, even sales etc so very different from prior role of software engineer. So by focusing on all of that experience, you should be solidly differentiated from the average Indian software engineer applying. Focus on the experiences you've had and gained from leading and managing others.... what have you learned? how do you approach teamwork situations? how do you handle multiple viewpoints or manage conflict? how do you motivate others? what skills will you bring to b-school from those experiences? think along those lines as you compose your essays.

GMAT could be higher so sounds like you are re-taking already. Your school list sounds appropriate with Harvard the biggest stretch; just keep in mind you've listed a lot of schools... may want to narrow down slightly to keep your time management reasonable and be sure you create the best possible application for each school.

Good luck and keep us posted with q's and your progress!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders