Things are not going according to plan.SC is very hard

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Dear friends.
Im in need of help here.My test date is approaching and I have about 27days left.I learnt all the SC rules from Manhattan,but when I started working out the OG problems I really sucked.Not only did the Diagnostic test but also the SC problems in the OG made me look like a fool.I could not apply any theory in there.

Im in need of some rejuvenated material,something that can change the game for me.Please help me with your advice.Im badly in need of it.Looks like my GMAT dream is soon fading away.

Thanks

Daniel

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

by ThomasLHall » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 am
Hi Daniel. It is crucial to closely integrate practice with your learning of strategies in all subjects but especially SC. You can't learn all the rules at once and then practice them; you need to learn a bit, then practice a bit using the OGs, and also have systematic review built in. With 27 days left in prep, you could still get a ton of value out of my guide to GMAT self-study.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 pm
Hi dddanny2006,

Before we figure out your situation, it's worth noting that you correctly used the the 2-part phrase "not only...but also" in your post, so you clearly remember some grammar rules.

Take a moment to define the "real" problem when you tackle SCs:

1) Is it that you don't know the rules?
2) Is it that you know the rules but can't spot when they apply?
3) Are you too tired or nervous to do the necessary work and find the correct answer?

GMAT SCs are pattern-based (just like everything else on this Test), so look for clues in the prompt (and answers) that "trigger" grammar rules (e.g. pronouns, modifiers, verbs, idioms, etc.). You've been studying for awhile now, so it's not as though SCs are a new concept for you. You can use some of your remaining time to revisit the major grammar rules and review idioms. There aren't that many grammar concepts that are routinely tested, so you just have to "lock down" on the ones that will be.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:48 pm
ThomasLHall wrote:Hi Daniel. It is crucial to closely integrate practice with your learning of strategies in all subjects but especially SC. You can't learn all the rules at once and then practice them; you need to learn a bit, then practice a bit using the OGs, and also have systematic review built in. With 27 days left in prep, you could still get a ton of value out of my guide to GMAT self-study.
Have seen your book and its based too much on a linear learning curve approach. While estimation is good, the idea has been taken too far. Developing any skill does not happen on a linear scale but it happens through peaks and troughs.