Unique Profile Evaluation Please

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Unique Profile Evaluation Please

by pscher31 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 am
Hello,

I'm a US Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Uganda I just took the GMAT and scored a bittersweet 600 (40Q 32V). I know if I had access to the proper resources in the US I could score higher. I literally studied by candle light and relied on these forums and the gmatprep software for study materials as none are available here.

As a volunteer (for past 2 yrs) I work in micro-finance and started an agricultural cooperative for over 10,000 rural farmers and now we have moved to exporting their harvests to neighboring countries.
Previously, I worked for Citi as an operations analyst for a year prior to leaving to serving in UG.
GPA of 3.4 in International Business and Chinese from small top 50 undergraduate school.

Target schools: Notre Dame, Georgetown, Babson, Wake Forest, Northeastern

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 am
Hi there,

Very impressed with the work you are doing, good for you. I would believe you have quite a strong profile, with your micro-finance work in the Peace Corp and obviously international and volunteer experience well above average! As well as your work at Citi prior to this. I would think you would have a good chance at the schools on your list and could probably add a higher-ranked 'reach' school or two as well, but biggest challenge will just be that GMAT. Will you be able to re-take? And maybe really bump up that quant score in particular which would also bump up the overall?

Interested to hear what your next steps are and how it all goes!

Wishing you all the best!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am
PS-- just saw your other post about how challenging it was to even get to a testing center and take the exam, let alone prep for it. I'd still say if within reason you could try once more, as an increase in math (which for many is easier than an increase in verbal) could really make a difference.

BUT if just not feasible given your situation, I'd say continue to apply and you can explain your circumstances in the optional essay. If they are going to admit someone with a 600, it would likely be someone with your type of uncommon and impressive experience. Just be sure that your essays are top notch, and demonstrate:

-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by pscher31 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 am
Thanks for the feedback. That makes me feel much better about my lackluster performance on the GMAT. Do you think it would greatly increase the odds of admission if I retake it? It's been tough for me to get higher than 44 in quant on my practice exams, its just difficult not having studying materials here, plus traveling on a bus down dirt roads for 9 hours to take the exam isn't much fun. I know rankings aren't everything, but with my profile how high in the rankings do you think I can go in terms of applying?

Thank you so much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:40 am
Definitely understand, and I think the schools would too, though again 600 is pretty rough for their 'average GMAT' statistics. I do think currently you would have a decent chance at the schools you listed.

Currently, you could look at schools maybe roughly in the 20-35 rankings for a couple of reach programs; but look at average GMAT scores and know the closer it is to say 650 the better the odds, can also look at general acceptance rates to get a feel for selectivity. If you scored a 650, I'd add a reach program ranked roughly 10-20 or so, and if you put together a really strong application otherwise, I'd think you'd have a shot. Again I do think you have extenuating circumstances regarding prepping for and actually taking the GMAT, so you can and should explain that and should get some leeway and understanding from admissions committees. Also if you have other ways of demonstrating quant ability (strong grades in any undergrad classes??) that would help.

If you do or were to do any more GMAT prep/practice and take another realistic practice exam or two and score a lot better, you might think about trying it again. If you aren't very sure of your ability to score higher and/or your ability to prepare more, then you may just focus on the schools you mentioned and/or another reach program or two and explain in the optional essay, in my view.

One thing you haven't mentioned is what your post-MBA goals are... basically the 'why'... be sure you have a clear explanation for that, in order to make that strong case for acceptance, fyi. The essays will be so critical for you. Additionally, your goals and interests may influence what schools you are interested in? Here's some more reading about choosing your schools (free e-book download): https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book

Keep us posted on q's and your progress, and good luck to you!! Hoping for great results overall for you.
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

by pscher31 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 am
Short term: I want to work in brand management for a multinational consumer products corporation looking to expand into emerging markets.

Long term: I want to work in emerging market consulting.

Also, are there any schools your recommend?

Debating on taking the GMAT again....I def was able to score high 30s on my practice CATs I was really upset about my 32 in verbal it just seemed harder than any of my CATs.

I look the GMAT on 8/28....when can I take it again? Do I have to wait?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 am
I hear ya, it's a tough call on the GMAT. If you have adaptive practice exams (either online or a CD, some are free), you could try one more full length timed test on your own and see how you do, in case that influences your decision. You can take the exam 'once every 31 calendar days', so could re-take this month if desired.

Re: schools, you could add a school like Fuqua, Ross certainly (known for strengths in marketing), or with maybe a higher GMAT, as a reach/dream, a Kellogg or Columbia, knowing it wouldn't be easy but not impossible either with your profile + higher GMAT. Unless you have an interest in an international program, such as INSEAD for example.

Keep me posted with q's and your decisions for sure!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 am
PS-- not sure of your phone or skype chatting options but if you'd like to talk more outside of this thread we do offer a free 30 min q&a/consult, https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php.

But I'm also happy to continue to help answer your q's here anytime if easier. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

by pscher31 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 am
Just received my official scores, I scored a 6 on my AWA and a 6 on IR does that help at all?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 am
Those are small pluses but not a big factor, wish I could say they'd help more! ;) But schools are pretty focused on the overall score.

Let me go back to the start of our conversation though and say even if you don't re-take, I definitely encourage you to apply to the schools on the list; I think you should have strong chances at Northeastern, Wake Forest, and probably Babson no matter what. I think Georgetown & Notre Dame are more challenging because you're out of the mid 80% range for the most part at programs like those, but you have a strong profile otherwise so with a strong application and essays I think there's still a chance there. If you are still researching, schools with an average GMAT of 650 or thereabouts are likely still within reach if you put together strong essays, fyi. You could add a Ross or Fuqua or other school of that caliber that appeals to you as a tough but 'reach' program option. If you had the time/energy/motivation, even a Columbia if you were up for trying for it knowing it would be difficult... but some schools do occasionally give some conditional offers too (Columbia has done so in the past), based on increasing the GMAT score, but everything else has to be STELLAR and they do have to really love you. ;) If you don't re-take, like I mentioned, you'll want to explain the challenges of taking the exam in the first place and getting to a test center and prepping and mention why/how you feel that is not an entirely accurate representation of your ability to handle the program, etc.
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:39 am
Hi there,

Just checking in on how things are going and your latest thoughts and plans! Good luck on everything!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

by pscher31 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 pm
Hi Jennifer,

I decided not to take the GMAT again and I'm going to stand tall with what I have.

I'll be discussing my GMAT challenges in the supplemental essay and hopefully that can give me some leeway in terms of my less than avg GMAT.
Should I do a supplemental for all my schools or just the ones that will be a bit of a reach?

Also, I'm having trouble with essay's regarding how I will contribute to an MBA program.

I'm starting the essays off with a story about a failure I had while in Uganda and what I learned from it and then transitioning into how I can apply the skills learned from past failures into academics, clubs, etc. Do you think that's the best route for this type of essay? I'm trying to demonstrate value and give a unique story so I stand out more as an applicant.

Do you think I am "selling myself short" in terms of the schools I'm applying?

I know you listed Duke and Michigan as potential schools but when I saw my lower GMAT I didn't think admission to top 10-15s was possible, even with reaching. Do you think I can really gain acceptance? If you were in my position and wanted to go into Brand Management and could apply to 1 more program where would you apply?

I really appreciate all of your help and guidance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:10 pm
Hi, thanks for the updates!

Overall sounds like a good plan. Yes I think you can briefly mention the GMAT challenges on all the applications. Not in a long involved way or overly apologetic, just matter-of-fact about the logistical challenges, how/why you don't feel it's a true indicator of your ability or of how you'll do in b-school, and/or other areas you want to point to that evidence your academic and/or quant ability.

Essays.... tough to be able to help a ton without reading essay drafts etc, and generally you'll want to tailor the essays to each school as each one can ask slightly different takes on q's even if similar. Without reading it, it's difficult to assess if starting off with a failure story is the right approach if the essay didn't ask about failure? Certainly you are right a) to focus on a narrative/story-telling style to best engage your readers, and b) to highlight the unique experiences you have in Uganda, and also c) showing what you learned from failure is generally a positive thing...BUT tough to say if you want to start an essay about failure if you weren't asked about it?

Tough call on your q regarding additional schools/brand management etc. Given your profile and interest in Brand Management/marketing, I'd say the best 4 reach schools for you would be 1) Duke, 2) Ross, 3) McCombs, 4) Kenan-Flagler. Those are very different programs in terms of geographic region etc, so you may want to think a lot about what you personally want out of a program and what schools appeal to you. I'd suggest applying to at least one of those as a reach, possibly 2 if you can get the applications done. In terms of chances to get in, Ross & Kenan-Flagler actually have higher acceptance rates, closer to 40%, so it wouldn't be such a long shot even with your lower GMAT. Duke would be most reputable and highest ranked in marketing out of those 4, though all are on the top marketing programs rankings. I wouldn't rule out your chances at Duke though either, so I guess think about all of this and see what feels right to you!

If you want to do a 30 min skype free consult sometime let me know and can try to figure out a time/schedule that works if at all possible. And/or check back in here sometime. Good luck on the decisions!!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

by pscher31 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 pm
Bit of a dilemma here, I wanted to apply R1 for all of my schools.

I would love to go to Ross, however their R1 deadline is Oct 1st, one of my recommenders is currently out of the office until next week. So applying R1 there isn't an option. R2 isn't until Jan 2nd.

My problem is, if I gain admission to say, Mendoza in R1 they would need a deposit before I would even find out if I get into Ross in R2.

Should I just wait to apply in R2 for all schools? Is there a big difference in applying R1 v. R2?

We could try and setup a time to skype, however my internet signal is intermittent. What does the free consultation entail?

Thanks!

Patrick

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:25 pm
I hear ya, timing is getting challenging for R1 (or impossible for sure at some).

In terms of R1 vs R2, there aren't differences in, say, how your application is judged, and admissions committees aim to give the same fair assessments at each round and usually don't have set quotas or anything per round. But it is also true of course that more seats are taken each round. Generally our advice is to apply as early as you can WITH an application you are completely happy with... i.e. don't rush it if you are potentially sacrificing quality. Apply when you are ready, when assessing R1 vs R2. We wouldn't recommend waiting til R3 though.

If you feel you can make R1 deadlines for a school or two (Duke is 10/21 for example if you were interested, but certainly 10/1 isn't going to work for Ross), and do a good job with your essays in that timeframe, go for it. If not, aim for R2 for all. If you are worried about timing in terms of preferring schools you might apply R2 definitely over R1 schools, then you could wait for R2 for all, if that makes more sense for you.

In terms of the consult, it is 30 minutes for any q&a or discussion you'd like to have. Applicants sometimes want a profile review, other times just want to ask specific questions. If you feel it'd be useful I could aim to schedule a time that works for me to do the consult since we've been discussing a lot here, or you could opt to speak with a new/different consultant for another take (would just be a bit more high level/profile review as they get to know you), either way could work. Totally up to you, keep us posted on everything either way! ;) Hopeful for a great admissions outcome for you.
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]