Profile Evaluation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by dunder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:47 pm
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am looking for advice on what type of colleges I should be looking at. I'm planning for the intake of Fall 2015.

GMAT: Male
Nationality: Australian
GMAT Score: 680 (Q47, V37, IR-8.0, AWA-6.0). First try. Not ideal preparation.

Work Experience:
5 years with top-tier engineering consulting firm working in the water/environment sector. Worked on major projects all over Australia in diverse set of roles - from business consulting at strategic the level though to planning, design, and construction of infrastructure. Big name clients.

Undergrad: Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (4 year degree)
Degree from Top 2 University in Australia. Overall GPA equates to approximately 3.3 which isn't great. I went a little awol in years 1 and 2 (GPA 1.9) and then got my act together in year 3 (GPA 3.65) and year 4 (GPA 4.3 out of 4.4). A number of awards and prizes in year 4.

Not sure if success in the later years (which are considered more important in Aust.) can compensate for lower overall GPA?

Other:
- Charity - Ran 500km across over 10 days to raise money for charity
- Charity - Cycled 1000km over 3 days to raise money for charity
- Extensively travelled (2 years, 35 countries)
- Studied French and Spanish

I'm not really sure how I stack up and was hoping to get some advice on how what caliber of schools I should be targeting. Is there any chance for a Top 25 or Top 10 school? I would consider retaking the GMAT and getting the score up to 720ish level if that would help.

Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:10 am
Hi there,

You've got the right amount of work experience (min is usually 2-3 years). Though you have to demonstrate your leadership potential, career progression, etc so not sure where this stands. Gmat is ok but you'll most likely have to write it again to get your quant and verbal scores up there if you want top tier schools. What percentiles did you get? If you get a strong GMAT this can definitely compensate your lower GPA.
Extra curriculars are good but would need to see more (I'm sure you have more hobbies passions but haven't listed them all!)

It's hard to tell you which schools exactly so you'll have to expand a bit. Are you exclusively looking at US schools? International schools like LBS or INSEAD? Schools in Australia?

Thanks
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dunder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 pm
Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the response.

"Though you have to demonstrate your leadership potential, career progression, etc so not sure where this stands."

Three promotions in 5 years. Have lead projects teams up to 12 people.

"Gmat is ok but you'll most likely have to write it again to get your quant and verbal scores up there if you want top tier schools. What percentiles did you get? "

680 - Q47 (70%), V37 (82%), IR 8 (94%)

Could resit if required. Quant is on the low side.

"If you get a strong GMAT this can definitely compensate your lower GPA.
Extra curriculars are good but would need to see more (I'm sure you have more hobbies passions but haven't listed them all!)"

I don't think I'm particularly strong on this front but others would include:
- I'm part of Engineers Without Borders
- On the side I founded (and currently run) a small clothing company with a partner
- Avid marathoner and cyclist

Perhaps I need to strengthen this part of my application??

"It's hard to tell you which schools exactly so you'll have to expand a bit. Are you exclusively looking at US schools? International schools like LBS or INSEAD? Schools in Australia?"

LBS is my overall top choice so I'm definitely considering schools outside the US. Melbourne Business School is also an option if I were to attend a local school. Is LBS a realistic option?

Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 am
Thanks for clarifying.

Career progression looks fantastic... 3 promotions in 5 years is terrific. And also the fact that you lead teams is a huge plus.

Extra curriculars are great - looks like you do indeed have quite a few interests/hobbies and things you do outside of work so not to worry here.

For LBS, I think you have a strong chance though is a plus if you have some international experience whether it be through client work, traveling/working abroad, working with people from different countries/cultures, etc. Also your GMAT percentiles are good but if you really want to be on the safe side for LBS, I would try and get that gmat score up there.

But overall you have a great chance for LBS so I would go for it!

If you want to discuss even further (a free consultation), feel free to contact as at Fortuna. We have people on our team who used to be in admissions for LBS.

All the best,
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com