What GMAT Score is needed for a top MBA given my stats?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Education: UC Berkeley Undergrad, BS in Business Administration (Haas), GPA: 3.95 (Highest Honors); also received Certificate of Entrepreneurship and Technology (essentially a minor in Entrepreneurship)

Work Experience: Interned at PricewaterhouseCoopers last summer in the audit group. Signed to work at JPMorgan Private Bank as an analyst for the next three years. (I plan to apply to MBA schools after those three years). I worked at a startup for about 8 months, and now am in the process of trying to start my own company with a group of friends (we'll see how far that goes).

Certification: Soon to be series 7 certified at JPM

Extracurriculars: At Berkeley, I have held a series of leadership positions. I was VP and Alumni Chair of my fraternity. I also was a Senior Research assistant for an MBA professor (promoted after just one year). I was a mentor for youth entrepreneurs in Berkeley. Over the next three years while I work, I plan to be involved in various volunteering events.

If I was to take the GMAT today and apply in three years, what score should I be shooting for given my GPA and other statistics? Also what are some things I can do to strengthen my application from now until I apply?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm
Dear psal,

You are on your way to building a competitive profile for business school, and I commend you for thinking about what you need to do in advance. In addition to preparing and doing well on your GMAT, you need to maximize your time in your job so you have a resume of professional accomplishments to pair with your academic achievements. Seek opportunities at JPMorgan to broaden and deepen your skill set as well as leadership opportunities--you can also seek leadership opportunities in your community and extracurricular activities as starting out in a big firm often doesn't offer many leadership opportunities in the first few years. Build those solid relationships with your supervisors and co-workers so you will have great recommendations and solid teamwork experiences. In terms of a GMAT score, you want to be at or above the average of your target schools to be in the best competitive position. So, for top 10 programs that would be in the 700's. You might still have a shot with a GMAT in the 650-700 range depending on what the rest of your application looks like, but a number starting with a 7 puts you in the best position.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by psal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm
Hi Lisa,

I wanted to follow-up on this post from a few years ago where I asked for your advice. I actually did not join JPMorgan out of college and signed with a boutique investment bank because I wanted to eventually get into venture capital. It was a risky move, but it worked!

I would love to get your thoughts on my chances at Stanford, Harvard, and Wharton. I understand that the verbal score in my GMAT is light, but I'm hoping that my high GPA, work experience, and other accomplishments can overcome that and make me a competitive candidate.

Target: Top 3 (Stanford, Harvard, Wharton)

Application Plan: First round, October 2014

Background: Middle eastern male, 25 (born in US)

Education:
- GPA: 3.95 (Highest Honors, Top 3% of class)
- Major: BS, UC Berkeley, Haas School of Business, 2010
- Additional Achievements: Engineering Entrepreneurship Sequence Certificate, 2010 Haas Undergraduate Achievement Award, Dean's List, Received A+ in a number of courses including Intro to Business (highly competitive class), Statistics, Finance, Game Theory, two other electives. Lowest letter grade was B+.

GMAT: 680 (Q49, V34, IR 7, AWA 6)

Experience:
- 2 years investment banking analyst at boutique investment bank (2010-2012). Worked on 14 transactions in very lean deal teams. Solely published 48 editions of Internet newsletter that was distributed to over 3,000 industry and VC professionals. Initiated firm's on campus recruiting efforts that did not previously exist (recruiting was done via referrals only). Offered promotion to associate role after second year (offered to select analysts after third year). Turned offer down to join top-tier late-stage venture capital firm.
- 1.5 years venture capital associate at top-tier late stage firm (2012-Present). Have worked on 6 different transactions during my time at the firm. Five months into the role, sourced investment in mobile gaming company. Investment was the 2nd largest in the firm's 34 year history. Five months after investment, majority of company was acquired at valuation 4x higher than our investment (one of the top returns for the firm). Received additional bonus for performance after second year and was assured third year promotion early. Will have 2.5 years of experience in this role when I apply.

Extracurriculars / Leadership:
- 1 year on board of non-profit that provides soccer and literacy after-school programs to under-resourced public school communities. Currently co-chair of a large fundraiser (corporate soccer tournament). Help with new team recruitment and manage team of 8 staff / board members. Looking to raise over $200K through this event.
- Held a number of leadership positions at UC Berkeley. VP and Alumni chair of fraternity. Senior Research Assistant for MBA professor (promoted after just one year). 2 years as mentor for youth entrepreneurs from local high schools.

Recommendations
- Planning to receive recommendations from two Partners at my current firm. I expect them to be strong given the feedback I received recently as part of my annual reviews.

Other:
- Hearing loss in left ear that has been getting worse each year since I was born. While my hearing impairment has made work and social life difficult at times, I haven't let it get in the way of my career goals. This is most likely going to be an essay topic of mine.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:17 pm
Hi psal,

Thanks for your post, and congratulations on all of your success to date. For the schools you are considering, you have a strong candidacy.

The biggest concern I have is for your GMAT, and how it is below the averages of the programs you are considering. For this reason, I do recommend you take the exam again. In your application your highest score is self-reported, so admissions teams will focus on your best score. If you decide to take the test again, we provide free GMAT advice here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/test-prep-hub/

We also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me