UCLA FEMBA Chances

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

UCLA FEMBA Chances

by qu1k2rip » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:28 pm
I just took the GMAT last week and scored a 610 (44Q 30V). Should I retake the GMAT again in order to increase my chances of getting in to UCLA FEMBA? I also will be applying to USC PM.MBA. Below is a summary of my profile.

GPA: 3.5
W/E: 2 years @ Big 4 and 2 years @ Big 6 movie studio
License: CPA
Add. info: graduated late because I switched from a music major to an accounting major

I have excellent recommendations and hopefully will be promoted to manager(financial planning/analysis) by the end of this year.

Thank you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:00 pm
Possibly not. 610 is a respectable score, particularly for someone working in the film industry which everyone knows is high demand on your time. FEMBA and PT program will be much more forgiving of things like GMAT since they don't have to report those scores for the rankings boards. I would encourage you to reach out to them directly and go ahead and run your score and profile by them. Good idea to introduce yourself as an applicant and someone who really wants to go there and wants to have the best shot they can. They will straight up tell you if they think you need a bigger score. For PT and FEMBA, they will be much more concerned with your career achievements, recommendations and some demonstration that you can handle working and going to school at the same time.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by qu1k2rip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm
Just wanted to update you on my situation.

I met with the Admissions Director this past week and we went over my resume. He said a lot of positive things and I submitted my App with a 610 GMAT (took the test again and got the same score!!!!). I do feel really confident about the rest of my application. I feel that I wrote compelling essays and really told my story.

I was also selected as a participant to UCLA's Embracing Diversity event, which is offered to 75 prospective full and part time MBA students and required a 500 word essay on diversity. Does getting accepted to an event like this strengthen my application? I am not trying to look too much into it, but I will have the opportunity to spend a whole weekend with faculty, alumni, and current students during this event.

by qu1k2rip » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm
And just to add, I am a Filipino American. Am I an underrepresented minority?

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:31 pm
Filipino is definitely under-represented, but don't read too much into being invited to the event. It's great that you were, but as you probably saw, there are lots of others in the room who can steal that seat away! Continue engaging with them and I am sure you will have a great shot. In the end, schools choose people, not profiles, so the more you engage with them, the better.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options