Job switch dilemma

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Job switch dilemma

by cd86 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:30 am
Hi all,

I am going to apply the coming year (fall 2014).

I have 4 years of experience, 2 years in a market research and consulting firm and 2 years in another firm in the corp strategy team (solid work with a lot of impact and results)

Till now I have made all my job moves strictly keeping MBA in mind, and have not made any erratic moves.However, I am currently really saturated with my current job in the corp strategy team.

One main reason thats adding to my irritation is the fact that I have been working on certain cosmetic formulations over the years and recently I could actually gather all the supplies needed to start up a small online cosmetic brand of my own.

Now I have two choices :

Option 1.Switch to a better job, probably a better brand. This would mean burning the midnight oil in the new organization, developing a good enough relationship with the new team/boss to be able to extract recommendations (all this in 6 months)

Pro : Getting rid of the frustrating current job and looking forward to something new.

Con : this would be the third organization I would be working for in the span of 5 years and Ive heard this might not reflect well during admissions.

Option 2.Starting up my cosmetic business.

Pro : I would actually be doing what I REALLY WANT in my life and not making all decisions based on MBA alone

Con : Though starting up something has been glamorized to look like bschool guys love the idea, I really doubt whether they appreciate it as much. More so, starting up a "cosmetics" company after 4 years of dabbling around in consulting, I wonder whether this looks like I lack focus.

Of corse there is a third option : sticking to the current job. But, I am simply done here and see no value addition in my career other than showing "consistency" for the sake of the bschool apps.

Please help!

cd

by Melissa@Fortuna » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am
Hi,

Would love to respond to this...if you aren't happy with your current situation, I would definitely make the move to something that will make you happy. Life is too short! Don't 'not' move just because you think it will reflect badly on your mba application. Everyone knows, including b-schools, that people change jobs and interests change...

Many, many candidates and students change their minds quite radically about what they want to do. You should remain open to the possibilities that come along as life unfolds - when you are open and positive, opportunities seem to abound. Life has a strange way of unfolding, so take the ride and listen to you gut and your heart.

Your business school opportunities may not even work out so you don't want to regret not making a move. Plus most schools will look at an entrepreneurial venture as a plus (even if it wasn't directly related to what you were doing before). It shows drive,initiative, and leadership - all great qualities of a business leader.

I've read many applications in my life and worked for business schools - we have often admitted people who have had numerous careers - just as long as you can back it up and explain why and what drove you to do so. It's natural to try out new things/new careers and all admissions committees know this so not to worry!

Go for it and still go for your dream of pursuing an MBA!

Best,
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

by cd86 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm
Thank you so much for the reply!

Is is a solace to know from you that one doesn't need to have the "perfect" profile to get in.I feel that it is almost impossible to take every decision in my life keeping in mind what a school would think.

I have given myself a dead line of two weeks,and if another job opportunity doesn't come along , I plan to invest all my time in the business idea.

And meanwhile I would love to learn about few others opinion on this.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 am
Hey there,

You seem to be at the intersection of a really hard, but great, decision. The first answer is the obvious one. If you're cooked and done where you are now, then leave. Staying won't help anyone. It won't help you enjoy life, develop yourself, or find meaning. And if it isn't doing any of those things, then it won't help your app any more than it already has. I don't mean to make light of a big decision, but I think moving on is a good idea.

So then what? Personally, I think you should go the start up route. It seems you've been dabbling in this for some time now and are a little further along the path than most people who find themselves contemplating entrepreneurship over a strawberry frap at Starbucks. You're right about having to really bust your behind making an impact at the new organization and, no matter how great a job you do, their recommendations will lack some of the dimensions that longer relationships can provide.

From an adcoms perspective, start ups DO pose a question that you need to be ready to answer. So you left your job, and started this company (that you clearly believe in) - so why an MBA? You're not a consultant trying to get into ibanking. You're not trying to make a switch into a leadership program. You'll have launched a business and then be looking to get an MBA. There are some great answers to this question, but you have to find the one(s) that resonate for you.

Most adcoms add a little scrutiny to entrepreneurs but you have something right out of the gate that most other applicants could only dream of - originality. That's a great advantage! Oh, and you'll be loving what you're doing :)

You can get a pretty long way in 6 months, especially if you're using spiral innovation and the lean start-up methodology. Especially given you're not starting from scratch. Not to mention, the learning curve when starting your own company is incredibly steep. But steep is good! You become well rounded. You might know a few functions and roles inside and out but you're going to learn about brand design and taxes and processes and a whole host of other things.

So I think your personal ultimatum is a great thing - this is your time to really try this out. If it's successful, great! You can continue to grow it in b-school or maybe you won't go at all. If it fails, that's ok too! You learned a lot and now you're in b-school where it's safe, collaborative, and you can try again.

Let us know which path you choose and if you have any questions about the process for bschools - well, that's what we're here for.

Looking forward to the updates!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by cd86 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 am
hello!

Bhavik, thanks a lot for your insights, they were truly helpful. Thanks for taking out the time to help me.

I chose the job way, with a better brand- Capgemini.

Currently busting my back to prove my mettle at work as well as manage applications.

Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:32 am
You are very welcome. Sounds great - congrats! Capgemini is a great firm. Good luck with your apps!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!