Recent Graduate seeking some guidance

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recent Graduate seeking some guidance

by Allen02215 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 pm
Hi,

I recently graduated from a CUNY(City University of New York) with a really low gpa (2.5) and I have no idea what I can do from here on. I've done no internships in the field of accounting, and all the jobs I picked up were mostly sales associate related. I was just highly unmotivated and had no goals in life; however recently I got serious and really worried about my future. So I decided to take the GMAT which I scored a 690 on, but when I look to apply to grad programs most of them require work experience. Having such a low GPA doesn't really give me much of a option to find a job so I'm here to ask what is it I should do from here on out?

I want to get into Baruch Zicklin school, but what are my chances?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 pm
Hi Allen02215,

Thanks for your post. A low overall GPA may raise a red flag for an admissions committee, but there are ways to address this. As an example, by taking a few classes now, you can help to offset some of their concerns. While straight A's in post-undergraduate courses will not erase your original transcript, you can demonstrate that you have the ability to excel academically, that you have identified a weakness and are making an effort to rectify it, that you are committed to learning, and that you can balance multiple commitments successfully. All of this can help mitigate the damage done by poor undergraduate performance. In addition, part of their concern is not linked to your academic abilities, but to your commitment to academics, your drive and your ability to handle a full schedule.

We also have here a case study of a candidate with a low GPA who was accepted into a top MBA program: https://www.stacyblackman.com/client-stories/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:05 pm
Hi Allen02215,

Thanks for your post. A low overall GPA may raise a red flag for an admissions committee, but there are ways to address this. As an example, by taking a few classes now, you can help to offset some of their concerns. While straight A's in post-undergraduate courses will not erase your original transcript, you can demonstrate that you have the ability to excel academically, that you have identified a weakness and are making an effort to rectify it, that you are committed to learning, and that you can balance multiple commitments successfully. All of this can help mitigate the damage done by poor undergraduate performance. In addition, part of their concern is not linked to your academic abilities, but to your commitment to academics, your drive and your ability to handle a full schedule.

We also have here a case study of a candidate with a low GPA who was accepted into a top MBA program: https://www.stacyblackman.com/client-stories/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me