Which programs accept the last two years of GPA?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I am wondering if someone has a list or can provide me with a list of the top MBA programs, top fifty let's say, which use only the last two years of your undergrad in the calculation of your GPA? Also, if you have two undergraduate degrees, or an undergrad degree with a masters degree, how do the schools calculate your GPA in this context?

For your reference, I have an undergrad degree with a cumulative 2.9 gpa and a 3.75 last two years gpa and I have a juris doctorate with a cumulative gpa of 3.2 over the three year duration of the law degree. I am trying to understand how my GPA will be calculated and which schools I would have the best shot at.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:55 am
Hi Swishsam,

Thanks for your message. In general, an admissions team will focus on your entire undergraduate transcript. However, an upward trend in your transcript is important, and it is something you can address in your personal essays.

A low overall GPA may raise a red flag for an admissions committee, but there are ways to address this. By taking a few classes now, you can help to offset some of their concerns. While straight A's in post-undergraduate courses will not erase your original transcript, you can demonstrate that you have the ability to excel academically, that you have identified a weakness and are making an effort to rectify it, that you are committed to learning, and that you can balance multiple commitments successfully. All of this can help mitigate the damage done by poor undergraduate performance. In addition, part of their concern is not linked to your academic abilities, but to your commitment to academics, your drive and your ability to handle a full schedule.

For your second question, in general admissions teams will focus more on your most recent education.

I hope the above is of help. If you'd like, we also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me