One On One Tutoring

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

One On One Tutoring

by NYARCH22 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 pm
I am a 31 y/o licensed architect interested in pursuing an education and career in real estate finance.

Over the past year, I have spent 1-2 hours a night and atleast 8 hours per weekend- preparing for the GMAT (I work on avg. 9-10hrs a day and most Saturdays). I started with the OG, worked my way through MGMAT quant books 1-5 and reviewed advanced quant (briefly). I completed 1 month of the Empower GMAT course and completed all the GMAT Prep Now quant lessons and review questions.

First practice exam- GMAT Prep (Sept 2012): 580 Q34 V36

Recent exam (01.19.14) GMAT Prep (Jan 2014): 640 Q37 V40

My goal is a 700 (700-720 would make me very happy)

After completing the GMAT Prep Now course for quant (over the past 3 mos.), including all videos and questions, I just took a prep test and once again scored a 640 Q37 V40. I have spent the past year studying GMAT quant with no improvement. It is time I pursued some one on one help with someone who can analyze my weaknesses and help me improve.

Would anyone be able to provide suggestions or recommendations for online one on one tutoring for quant? I know there are options for tutors via MGMAT, however, I need a tutor that charges less than several hundred per hour...

Looks like it's going to be another year before I submit applications...any (positive) suggestions are welcome

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:04 pm
Hi NYARCH22,

With this most recent exam, make sure that you take the time to go back and do a full review. When revisiting the questions that you got wrong, you should ask yourself WHY you got those questions wrong. In most cases, the primary reason is one of 3 things: you made a silly mistake (or you could have used a different approach), there was a rule that you didn't know but was essential to solving the problem or the question was just really hard. Fix everything from the first two options and you'll see your score jump.

You can also post some of those questions in this Forum; I'm happy to help you work through them (and there are plenty of others who'll likely do the same).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]