How to swim in VERBAL Ocean ???

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

How to swim in VERBAL Ocean ???

by Uva@90 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 am
Hi Experts/Friends,

I plan to start my verbal preparation, after going through many post here one thing I understood is that we should start of in below mentioned order,
1 ---> Sentence Correction
2 ---> Reading Comprehension
3 ---> Critical Reasoning

Tools:
Could you please explain me which book should I buy for each sections.

Procedure:
I also find in many places that Idioms & Grammar are to be known for acing SC.

Basically I am VERY VERY POOR IN GRAMMAR,considering this what are all the grammar areas should I read/memorize ?

Reading Comprehension/Critical Reasoning
I am completely stuck at how to handle above mentioned sections. Any ideas on this would be helpful.

I thank in advance.

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:47 pm
Hey Uva,

I'd actually suggest that you prep GMAT Verbal with a little bit of everything, all the time. It's not a checklist to "get through," but rather a list of concepts you need to familiarize yourself with, then rotate through on a consistent basis. Only doing SC for a month, then only RC for a month, then only CR for a month is super-dangerous IMO. You can't cram Verbal -- you've got to consistently build. Here's essentially what the GMAT Verbal tests:

"¢ CR: Argument Structure
"¢ CR: Assumption
"¢ CR: Complete the Passage
"¢ CR: Evaluation of a Plan
"¢ CR: Flaw
"¢ CR: Inference
"¢ CR: Resolve Argument
"¢ CR: Strengthen
"¢ CR: Weaken

"¢ RC: Application
"¢ RC: Author Would Agree/Disagree
"¢ RC: Inference
"¢ RC: Logical Structure / Function
"¢ RC: Main Idea
"¢ RC: New situation
"¢ RC: Tone
"¢ RC: Supporting Ideas / Details

"¢ SC: Among/Between, As/Like Usage
"¢ SC: Correlative Constructions
"¢ SC: Comparisons
"¢ SC: Fragments and Run-on sentences
"¢ SC: Idioms
"¢ SC: Meaning
"¢ SC: Modification
"¢ SC: Mass/count words
"¢ SC: Noun-verb agreement
"¢ SC: Parallelism
"¢ SC: Passive Voice
"¢ SC: Prepositions
"¢ SC: Pronouns
"¢ SC: Rhetorical Construction
"¢ SC: Verb Form
"¢ SC: Wordiness / Redundancy

So, I'd start by getting the OG 13th, the MGMAT Sentence Correction book, Powerscore CR, and potentially an RC supplement like Veritas Prep: RC so you have strong study material.

Then work your way through each book, hitting a little bit of CR, SC, RC each week. Take practice tests, make error logs, and choose a finite number of concepts to hone in on each week.

DO NOT WAIT FOR RC, especially if you are not a native speaker, or aren't a voracious reader. Learning the SC content isn't actually that challenging, following good CR and RC strategy and consistently improving in those areas will definitely be.

I'd also check out the Thursdays with Ron videos: https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

You can find out more about how I suggest you approach RC here: https://learni.st/users/60/boards/41432- ... nd-for-all
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Uva@90 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:04 pm
VivianKerr wrote:Hey Uva,

I'd actually suggest that you prep GMAT Verbal with a little bit of everything, all the time. It's not a checklist to "get through," but rather a list of concepts you need to familiarize yourself with, then rotate through on a consistent basis. Only doing SC for a month, then only RC for a month, then only CR for a month is super-dangerous IMO. You can't cram Verbal -- you've got to consistently build. Here's essentially what the GMAT Verbal tests:

"¢ CR: Argument Structure
"¢ CR: Assumption
"¢ CR: Complete the Passage
"¢ CR: Evaluation of a Plan
"¢ CR: Flaw
"¢ CR: Inference
"¢ CR: Resolve Argument
"¢ CR: Strengthen
"¢ CR: Weaken

"¢ RC: Application
"¢ RC: Author Would Agree/Disagree
"¢ RC: Inference
"¢ RC: Logical Structure / Function
"¢ RC: Main Idea
"¢ RC: New situation
"¢ RC: Tone
"¢ RC: Supporting Ideas / Details

"¢ SC: Among/Between, As/Like Usage
"¢ SC: Correlative Constructions
"¢ SC: Comparisons
"¢ SC: Fragments and Run-on sentences
"¢ SC: Idioms
"¢ SC: Meaning
"¢ SC: Modification
"¢ SC: Mass/count words
"¢ SC: Noun-verb agreement
"¢ SC: Parallelism
"¢ SC: Passive Voice
"¢ SC: Prepositions
"¢ SC: Pronouns
"¢ SC: Rhetorical Construction
"¢ SC: Verb Form
"¢ SC: Wordiness / Redundancy

So, I'd start by getting the OG 13th, the MGMAT Sentence Correction book, Powerscore CR, and potentially an RC supplement like Veritas Prep: RC so you have strong study material.

Then work your way through each book, hitting a little bit of CR, SC, RC each week. Take practice tests, make error logs, and choose a finite number of concepts to hone in on each week.

DO NOT WAIT FOR RC, especially if you are not a native speaker, or aren't a voracious reader. Learning the SC content isn't actually that challenging, following good CR and RC strategy and consistently improving in those areas will definitely be.

I'd also check out the Thursdays with Ron videos: https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

You can find out more about how I suggest you approach RC here: https://learni.st/users/60/boards/41432- ... nd-for-all
Hi VivianKerr,
Thanks for patiently explaining clearly. I will follow as you said.

I totally agree with this part,
You can't cram Verbal -- you've got to consistently build.
Thank you once again.

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean