OG Review - DS #47

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

OG Review - DS #47

by bml1105 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:02 pm
Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If rx is the ratio of Robot X's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate and ry is the ratio of Robot Y's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate, is Robot Z's constant rate the greatest of the three?

(1) rx < ry
(2) ry < 1

Answer: C

** My questions are below to avoid spoiling the answer for those that want to attempt the problem.
Last edited by bml1105 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by bml1105 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 pm
Can ry not be less than 0 because we are talking about constant rates of assembling components?

In the answer, it mentions that because ry < 1, then y must be less than z. Technically, y or z could be a negative improper fraction and still be less than 1. I just want to make sure I'm supposed to be assuming that the reason they say y < z is because of the scenario and not a concept I'm missing.

by Uva@90 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:25 pm
bml1105 wrote:Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If rx is the ratio of Robot X's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate and ry is the ratio of Robot Y's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate, is Robot Z's constant rate the greatest of the three?

(1) rx < ry
(2) ry < 1

** My questions are below to avoid spoiling the answer for those that want to attempt the problem.
Hi Bml1105,
Is Answer C ?

Given:
X/Z =rx =>Z =X/rx
Y/Z =ry =>Z =Y/ry
To Find: Z>(X and Y) or not.

Statement 1: rx < ry
since,
X/rx = Y/ry and rx < ry
So, Y > X
nothing about Z, Hence Insufficient.

Statement 2: ry < 1
Z =Y/ry and ry < 1
Hence Z > Y.
Hence Insufficient.

Combine 1 and 2
z>y>x
Hence Sufficient.

Answer is C

Regards,
Uva.
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean

by bml1105 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm
Yes, sorry, the correct answer is C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 pm
bml1105 wrote:Robots X, Y, and Z each assemble components at their respective constant rates. If rx is the ratio of Robot X's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate and ry is the ratio of Robot Y's constant rate to Robot Z's constant rate, is Robot Z's constant rate the greatest of the three?

(1) rx < ry
(2) ry < 1

On the GMAT, the term ratio will always refer to POSITIVE values.
Please see my post here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ratio-t266289.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by bml1105 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:53 pm
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a bit stumped by this question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:59 am

(1) rx < ry
(2) ry < 1
We are given that rx = the ratio of robot X's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate.

If we let A = the rate of robot X and C = the rate of robot Z, we can say:

A/C = rx

We are also given that ry = the ratio of robot Y's constant rate to robot Z's constant rate. If we let B = the rate of robot Y, we can say:

B/C = ry

We need to determine whether C is greater than both A and B.

Statement One Alone:

rx < ry

Statement one tells us that A/C < B/C. We can multiply both sides by C and obtain:

A < B

Thus, the rate of robot X is less than the rate of robot Y. However, we still do not know whether the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of either robot X or robot Y. Statement one is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

ry < 1

Since ry < 1, B/C < 1 or B < C.

Thus, the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot Y. However, we still do not know whether the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot X. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two we know that the rate of robot X is less than the rate of robot Y and that the rate of robot Z is greater than the rate of robot Y. Thus, if the rate of robot Y is less than the rate of robot Z, then the rate of robot X must also be less than the rate of robot Z. Therefore, the rate of robot Z must be the greatest.

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews